Basketball

blaghaus

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Not really.

I used to watch Jordan, just because he's one of those guys you have to watch. But other than that... meh.

Apparently TN has an NBA team, the Grizzlies. I don't know anything about them though.

Your NHl team is doing very well, 7-1 so far.

I love the fact they didn't bother changing the name of the grizzlies when it moved from Vancouver. I dont think memphis has seen a grizzly bear since the ice age. Saying that, Toronto hasn't seen a raptor since the jurrasic age.

• Members

I am pumped, been counting down for like a month.

There are so many great players in the league right now, I don't know how so many people ignore it.

You have the obvious ones, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady and so on. But some of the other guys, like Andrei Kirilenko in Utah and Shawn Marion in Phoenix, just total freak athletes (Kirilenko is a 6-9 small forward with a 7-2 wing span or something, he averaged 6.5 blocks per game for the first month of last season including 8 blocks in the season openning game against the lakers, where he spent most of his time defending Kobe Bryant).

Some of the teams have re-tooled during the offseason and should be a blast to watch. New Orleans/Oklahoma City in particular. Their team will be terrible, but with Chris Paul (the point guard for Wake Forest last year, the guy who punched that dude in the cock) running the show with 2 slam dunk contest participants (JR Smith and Chris "the Birdman" Anderson) and 1 former slam dunk champion (Desmond Mason) on the wings, they will be exciting.

Golden State will be a fun team to watch too, although I would be surprised if they made the playoffs.

I can't wait for this season to tip off on tuesday! Basketball is so much more fun to watch than football (same goes for hockey, I don't really understand why the NFL is so popular... but I guess in a nation where people watch cars drive around in a circle for hours anything can make sense).

• Members

Originally posted by The_Spice

I can't wait for this season to tip off on tuesday! Basketball is so much more fun to watch than football (same goes for hockey, I don't really understand why the NFL is so popular... but I guess in a nation where people watch cars drive around in a circle for hours anything can make sense).

NFL is good for people who like to eat a lot of junk food while they watch their athletes. You don't miss anything in the NFL. you can stop chewing on every play.

• Members

I can't and won't watch the NBA. But I LOVE college basketball. Though I'm more than a little crushed about what Cincy's dean did to poor Bobby Huggins. So I might just have to only root for Xavier this year.

And DICKTRON, I wouldn't get too attached to Lebron. My close friend and ex-bandmate is real tight with an ex-NBA player who is now in the upper management realm of the NBA. He was saying that Lebron jumped agent agencies to join up with whoever it is that's in Brooklyn, which seemed like a dumb idea at first, until you realize that he's setting himself up for his first shot at free agency at which point that is where the Nets will have moved.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I can't and won't watch the NBA. But I LOVE college basketball. Though I'm more than a little crushed about what Cincy's dean did to poor Bobby Huggins. So I might just have to only root for Xavier this year.

who da huggins guy?

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

did he get fired or something?

Yeah. Because the new Mrs. Smartypants college president didn't like his (admittedly abysmal...like worst in all of college sports) graduation rate; though in his defense, it had been getting better. But his teams were regularly manned with junior-college transfers and the most thuggish and illiterate players he could find. But man, can they play defense and rebound and stuff. He turns his teams into a nasty, well-oiled machine, albeit one that breaks down come tourney time.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Yeah. Because the new Mrs. Smartypants college president didn't like his (admittedly abysmal...like worst in all of college sports) graduation rate; though in his defense, it had been getting better. But his teams were regularly manned with junior-college transfers and the most thuggish and illiterate players he could find. But man, can they play defense and rebound and stuff. He turns his teams into a nasty, well-oiled machine, albeit one that breaks down come tourney time.

so he had a team of thugs who didn't win anything? Man, I could do that job!!

• Members

Your NHl team is doing very well, 7-1 so far.

I love the fact they didn't bother changing the name of the grizzlies when it moved from Vancouver. I dont think memphis has seen a grizzly bear since the ice age. Saying that, Toronto hasn't seen a raptor since the jurrasic age.

Yeah, the Preds are getting all kinds of lip service now.

It's kind of annoying, really. Not that they're getting attention, but that nobody seems to care unless they're doing well, then suddenly everyone acts like life-long devotees.

• Members

so he had a team of thugs who didn't win anything? Man, I could do that job!!

But during the season (and often in the Conference USA tourney) watching his teams play was like watching opera or ballet or looking at a Monet or something, except with tattoos and gang-signs a-flashing.

And my ultimate dream is still to be a baseball coach. Seeing the job that Ozzie Guillen did with the White Sox reinforced that love in me; that's how I manage little leaguers, looking for the hustlers, the solid defensive folks, etc. And that also reinforces a theory I have that the best coaches/managers are those that weren't superstars (regardless of the sport) because those are the ones that had to reflect on their skills and had to sometimes watch from the bench and who had to fight and work for anything they ever accomplished. That's why I should start a write-in campaign to get Davey Concepcion named as the Reds manager.

• Members

Originally posted by The_Spice

Basketball is so much more fun to watch than football (same goes for hockey, I don't really understand why the NFL is so popular... but I guess in a nation where people watch cars drive around in a circle for hours anything can make sense).

NFL is way more fun to watch when you understand what's going on.

And I don't mean understand the rules.

It's like chess. You can know the rules, but if you don't know the strategy, then it's just pieces on a board, and it seems boring as hell.

That said, I don't think most football fans really understand much about the stragegy of the game.

It's quite different when you see the alignments and formations, watch the adjustments and audibles, try to make predictions about whats going to happen, try to identify the mismatches, see a trick play coming, etc. It's a lot more mental than most people realize.

Archived