Some OT (non-baseball) questions from last night's game.

• Members

1. Did anyone catch the Latin Legends shindig at the beginning of the broadcast? First, I didn't realize that Rod Carew was Hispanic (from Panama). I knew he had converted to Judaism, but didn't know that he was Panamanian. Second, did they say that some of the guys couldn't be there because of the hurricane? Because I can understand Clemente not showing up, but why couldn't Vlad or Manny make it? And third, did that guy reading the names and blurbs annoy anyone else? He was trying so hard to lay on the accent with their names, but then he'd mess up every once in a while on a non-Spanish word, like when he called A-Rod "ah-ROAD."

2. Was it just me or was Jon Secada's National Anthem one of the worst ever? And how did that guy get a World Series singing gig? I mean, I totally expected Tom Cochrane to be doing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and EMF to do "God Bless America" while Right Said Fred girly-tossed out the first pitch.

3. Were there secret service folks sitting by the Bushes? Because I didn't see any. And if they were, would they be allowed to have a beer? If I was on that secret service detail, I totally would've put my front row ticket up on ebay and then called in sick.

• Members

1. i knew Carew was from Panama, yeah. i still think Clemente should've shown up. very disrespectful. :mad:

:D

b. nooooooooooooo, just ask Joe Buck. he said it was "rousing" and one of the best evar.

iii. didn't notice.

D. counter-question: why do the Astros have so few Latin and African-American players?? i can only think of one nonwhite starting position player (Tavarez).

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

1. i knew Carew was from Panama, yeah. i still think Clemente should've shown up. very disrespectful.
:mad:

:D

b. nooooooooooooo, just ask Joe Buck. he said it was "rousing" and one of the best evar.

iii. didn't notice.

D. counter-question: why do the Astros have so few Latin and African-American players?? i can only think of one nonwhite starting position player (Tavarez).

I. The only other Carew-related trivia that I (think I) know is that he was born on a train. At least I think I remember reading that in some baseball book as a kid. I could also be blatantly wrong.

II. Joe Buck is number two on my list of celebrities that need an ass-kicking. Listening to him announce is as bad as watching the game with my wife (which is made worse because she's switching the channel to some home-makeover show or Ashton Kutcher show or whatever during commercials and then switches back late enough that I never catch the leadoff batter :mad: )...

III. Barbara looked dead. I don't think I ever saw her move. At least George made a couple half-hearted attempts to cheer. But then again, she's probably full of worry over how her son's goin' down.

IV. I didn't even notice that until I read a Bill Simmons article the other day that mentioned that. Shows how culturally alert I am. :(

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

that was awesome. bookmarked.
:)

That article you sent is amazing. I guess I'd never thought about that, which is strange because one of my biggest beefs with the NBA and rap music is the shambles that each of them have left innercities in, a headache and heartache I had to deal with every day when I was teaching sixth grade.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

That article you sent is amazing. I guess I'd never thought about that, which is strange because one of my biggest beefs with the NBA and rap music is the shambles that each of them have left innercities in, a headache and heartache I had to deal with every day when I was teaching sixth grade.

forward that to moi por favor.

Archived