I challange RoboPimp to a musical duel

jrak

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol i wouldnt rubbish any 1 normally but you aint no looker, and you maybe play your music with a passion and with soul, but it doesnt translate to any outsiders ears, the drums and additional plonks and plinks where way out of time and tempo and every single track is round about the same place on the fretty board lol. but i will say it takes balls to put ursen up and post tracks for every 1 to scrutinise when ur claiming sum1 else isnt good, but u have to be able to back things up and ur tracks dont, as for confidence....i think its arrogance and delusion, but all that said keep playin and posting what matters the most is that ur doing what u wanna do and u njoy doin it, thats what its all about :p

• Members

Just to clarify, "My music rules, despite what an entire diverse community of musicians tells me" is not confidence.

Confidence is "I am willing to put forth the effort to become the best I can be, because I believe my full potential is a worthwhile investment."

The difference is subtle, but important.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Just to clarify, "My music rules, despite what an entire diverse community of musicians tells me" is not confidence.

Confidence is "I am willing to put forth the effort to become the best I can be, because I believe my full potential is a worthwhile investment."

I like that he was genuinely surprised at the reaction he got.

• Members

Hey, JCN (and whoever else cares): I've been reading Clinton Heylin's Dylan biography -- it's been a reg'lar Dylan fest round here lately -- and I think if we attitude-x-ray'd the brain of His Bobness at about the time he left Minneapolis, we would find it much closer to the former of these two statements.

...and close to the x-ray you'd likely get from 'ol jRak.

Delusionary self confidence is -- good, bad or indifferent -- a great thing to possess if you want to take on the woild. In fact, given a range of attributes to select, I might choose this for my robot-rock-star battle droid above all other capabilites (talent, big hands, good pedals, good looks, etc)

GBV (for one example) certainly seemed utterly insane, and for years, but they persisted because of their lunatic-self-belief. They knocked everybody out when they busted through for two reasons: 1) the songs were good, and 2) everything about the recordings and the persona of the band was underwritten by this quality of obsessed, world-defying madness and isolation. it all meshed rather beautifully.

Will that happen here? Who knows...

But I'm putting my two bucks down on the jRak guy. From what I have heard (the tracks in question) and seen on this thread (the psychic {censored}storm), I think the kid's got a future.

As long as he doesn't waste it starring on Real World or something...

• Members

Originally posted by moonhead

Hey, JCN (and whoever else cares): I've been reading Clinton Heylin's Dylan biography -- it's been a reg'lar Dylan fest round here lately -- and I think if we attitude-x-ray'd the brain of His Bobness at about the time he left Minneapolis, we would find it much closer to the former of these two statements.

Delusionary self confidence is -- good, bad or indifferent -- a great thing to possess if you want to take on the woild. In fact, given a range of attributes to select, I might choose this for my robot-rock-star battle droid above all other capabilites (talent, big hands, good pedals, good looks, etc)

GBV (for one example) certainly seemed utterly insane, and for years, but they persisted because of their lunatic-self-belief. They knocked everybody out when they busted through for two reasons: 1) the songs were good, and 2) everything about the recordings and the persona of the band was underwritten by this quality of obsessed, world-defying madness and isolation. it all meshed rather beautifully.

But I'm putting my two bucks down on the jRak guy. From what I have heard (the tracks in question) and seen on this thread (the psychic {censored}storm), I think the kid's got a future.

I'm never going to take any gambling tips from you.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I like that he was genuinely surprised at the reaction he got.

It all comes down to who you spend time with from day to day.

It's like when you're a kid and your parents tell you your {censored} don't stink, and you genuinely walk around believing you can do anything.

It's not confidence, it's delusion.

• Members

Good point, but the crucial difference is in the quality of Dylan's first music. Delusions of grandeur can get you by when people think your music sucks, but it does nothing to make your music suck less.

• Members
Originally posted by blaghaus

I'm never going to take any gambling tips from you.

good thinking.

I can always cloud up a perfectly good day by picturing the wall of HiWatt's I coulda bought with my 00-01 Stock Market adventures...

the row of SG's and 335's...

:cry:

• Members

While I respectfully disagree about young jrak. I agree that self delusion is helpful if you genuinely are a genius.

Napoleon, for instance. Alexander, Caligula, etc. All quite delusional, sometiems insane.

I'm not saying there's no way in hell jrak has a musical future. I mean, Mili Vanili did it, for Chris'sake. I'm just saying that the clips sound like some old recordings I have of my first day with an electric guitar. He has nowhere to go but up, how far up depends on his willingness to stop fluffing his 'fro and take a critical perspective on his music.

If you do a survey of great delusional figures throughout history, one trend I I'd be willing to bet on would be perfectionism.

• Members

It all comes down to who you spend time with from day to day.

It's like when you're a kid and your parents tell you your {censored} don't stink, and you genuinely walk around believing you can do anything.

It's not confidence, it's delusion.

That's only if living in a delusion is a bad thing, which it is not. Its quite fun actually, helps me cope with the real world, for when reality becomes too harsh, the surreal will always be waiting.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

That's only if living in a delusion is a bad thing, which it is not. Its quite fun actually, helps me cope with the real world, for when reality becomes too harsh, the surreal will always be waiting.

A thousand homeless men piloting battleships through the streets of metropolitan cities all across America agree.

• Members

Thanks, I hate the Real World ( the TV show not the actual real world like some of the losers who live in this forum)

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Good point, but the crucial difference is in the quality of Dylan's first music. Delusions of grandeur can get you by when people think your music sucks, but it does nothing to make your music suck less.

right, but it keeps you at it until that happens...and all i'm saying is that that's a big deal.

wherever you start from.

and I heard enough stuff in the tracks I think jRaks' got something he can build on. nothing there Pere Ubu wouldn't have featured on a b-side back int he day.

As for the song titles, well...that's what a manager is for...

jrak: here's a challenge for ya. Let me be your manager & producer -- for just one cut. we'll post it in two weeks, along with something of reasonable quality I find out in the woods somewhere, and we'll see if the folks here can guess which is which. Only rule is your song has to be your composition...your playing.

You help me prove my theory and I'll help you prove yours (that you have a future and etc.).

What say?

• Members
Originally posted by theyapster

lol i wouldnt rubbish any 1 normally but you aint no looker, and you maybe play your music with a passion and with soul, but it doesnt translate to any outsiders ears, the drums and additional plonks and plinks where way out of time and tempo and every single track is round about the same place on the fretty board lol. but i will say it takes balls to put ursen up and post tracks for every 1 to scrutinise when ur claiming sum1 else isnt good, but u have to be able to back things up and ur tracks dont, as for confidence....i think its arrogance and delusion, but all that said keep playin and posting what matters the most is that ur doing what u wanna do and u njoy doin it, thats what its all about
:p

I just don't hear what you do, I like my music, that's why I make it sound like that, I can play a lot of differnt ways but I like the finished songs I came out with, I do consider them demos or song scketches but I find them enjoyable to listen to and so have other so I'll just assume we have different tastes

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

yes, I do. So do the rest of this forum it appears.

Nice Oy-fro by the way.

actually quite a few people have said they like it, on this thread mostly it's bean mean {censored}s attempting to put me down, but in bewtween them some like it and those that's enough to me

did you look at my influences on my soundclick page?

I doubt we share many, I doubt you even know who many of them are so we don't have the same taste and I don't give a flying {censored} what you think

• Members

Originally posted by phoenix_76

I fully respect you and anyone who has the dedication to record music and circulate it for internet strangers to listen to/rate. However, it comes with the territory that you have to be able to take the criticism and/or plaudits with grace. Criticism should be used to sharpen your music skills and not embitter you with hate for people you've never met or ever likely to meet. I think JCN and some others were trying to make that point to you. I'd listen because it'll make you a better musician in the long run.

I'm all for criticism but mostly I've just been insulted by people whose music I most likley ( yes, even, with not hearing it) would not like

• Members

If the original poster can still stomach to read this then...

The biggest issue here is not that your music needs work nor that Robogimp is a dick but that you seem to be unaware of your shortcomings and think that music is a competition.

Challenging to someone to a playfight (sic) is lame even if you play like * (*insert favourite guitarist here).

One's music, especially if it's a solo effort is a personal thing and it's not to be aired on a combatative board like HC without being thick skinned and expecting flak.

I have personally linked to my music a couple of times and got mixed reviews. I have always improved.

Unlike many who have slagged your music without providing any of their own, here is a link of my Tascam 4track music

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=283447

Which is not perfect and nneds work.

and some constructive criticism.

1 Lose the 'drums' it sounds like White Stripes having a 'domestic incident'.

2 Invest in a drummer (bribe them if you have to) or get a loop disc or two.

3 You can use clean sounds too.

4 If you are doing instrumentals, it has to go somewhere. It has to have a melody. If you are writing songs then you'll get some realy flack re your voice.

5 BTW this should be 1-tune your guitar with a decent tuner before each take

6 Dynamics

7 Get a mentor/soul mate. I use some truted friends as barmoters for my stuff.

8 Be brave enough to bin stuff that doesnt work.

9 Stop having feuds with people and make your music (ie "shut up and play your guitar"),

• Members

I'm just saying that the clips sound like some old recordings I have of my first day with an electric guitar.

Yeah, it totally reminded me of some of MY first 4 track excursions...which is probably why I'm a bit soft on it.

The other proposition you put forth -- that critical listening is needed, is true also. But that critical faculty has to be developed from within. The ability to deal with the input of others is (way) secondary -- especially to the high-confidence operator. Dylan again provides another good example here. He was utterly restless about the quality of his own stuff. This, combined with the ruthless ego he possessed, made him what he was. And unmade him too...

• Members

Originally posted by jrak

did you look at my influences on my soundclick page?

Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Pink Floyd, Amon Duul,

Trad Gras Och Stenar, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Them, Sigur Ros, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Avarus, Kemialliset Ystavat, Acid Mothers Temple, Comets on Fire, Guidibrallan, Sam Cooke,

Roy Buchanan, the Dead C, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Makoto Kawabata, David Gilmour, Syd Barrett, Simply Saucer, Dick Dale, Mahalia Jackson,

Link Wray, John Lennon, Led Zeppelin, Buddy Guy

Howlin' Wolf, Magic Sam

I'd say just about all of them have learnt their instrument and their craft, so obviously they have not influenced you that much.

Archived