OT: Lock cylinder (ignition) should i be worried?

(((echo)))

• Members

today was an unlucky day for our '03 Fucus

first my wife ran over a 3" screw and got a flat on her way to work this morning and then while trying to leave work she couldn't get the steering column to unlock so she could turn the car over

she called our roadside assistance (AGAIN!) after a few other people at her job tried to muscle the steering wheel to no avail. towtruck guy grabbed a screwdriver, tapped the ignition... presto, key turns over and steering wheel unlocks

anyway he said the lock cylinder is bad so i called the autoparts shops and there is no part available aside from ford and the dealer wants $300 for the job

now she's driven the car a few times since and no problem.. is this something that is bound to happen again.. is there anything we can do to help it along another few months until the car goes back? (lease)

i seriously don't want to pay $300 for a {censored}ing sketchy tumbler :mad:

:confused:

• Members

It isn't still under warranty? My Saturn did that, just locked and I could not get it unlocked, tow guy thought I was a wuss or something and he tried. Nope. Had to get the car towed to the shop and then get a new one installed on their nickel. When you park that car, don't turn the wheel after turning off the ignition and causing the lock to latch. That is what did me in.

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

It isn't still under warranty? My Saturn did that, just locked and I could not get it unlocked, tow guy thought I was a wuss or something and he tried. Nope. Had to get the car towed to the shop and then get a new one installed on their nickel. When you park that car, don't turn the wheel after turning off the ignition and causing the lock to latch. That is what did me in.

You should never turn the wheel while the car is parked (stresses everything the in front end).

I too would think this should be covered by waranty. 2 years seems like a short amount of time to have any issues with the lock mechanism.

• Members

I have a 2000 Focus, and I just had the lock cylinder replaced about three months ago. It seized up in a grocery parking lot (with a car full of frozen foods in 85-degree heat! :mad: ); the key would not turn at all, nor would the spare key.

And since it's a key issue, I had to get it done at an actual Ford dealership, which cost too much.

Plus, even after the repair, the new key will only turn if it's inserted in a certain direction (one side of the key head has to face me, not the other).

I've never had such a problem with any older car I've owned. It makes me want my '78 Volvo back. Of course, the Focus actually runs, which is a plus.

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

sadly we're just over the 36,000 mile warrenty
:(

yeah i told my wife not to lock the wheel anymore... so far so good

if i sprayed a little WD40 on my key and work it in the ignition... would that help, or maybe hurt
:confused:

I would stay away from the WD40 and try graphite.

Archived