building a pedalboard

BlackFox

• Members

so i went through the nightmare of using a digitech rackmount unit with my marshall, and now im just gonna go old school and do stompboxes.

but i really need to build a pedal board for all this so that i dont have to spend 30 mins before a gig wiring up 8 or so pedals. heres the ideas ive come up with, since i really dont see the point in throwing 300 into a pedalboard i could do for cheaper myself.

alright, so the main idea is to get an old military ammo case. probably somewhere near 3'x2' in size and proabable about 6'' to 12'' tall. so heres the ideas i have so far. figure A (refer to image) is just to throw piece of wood into the box and take it out when i need it, figure C is to actually mount the board to the lid of the box, and figure B was an idea i was messing around with for an angled board. C seems like the best thing since i can hide my power supply under the board itself, but then the problem ouf mounting it to the lid could prove to be a problem. that or i could do the figure A deal. i dont know if im gonna be able to find an ammo case from a surplus store thats the right size, so if theres anything else, let me know. ive seen a few boards in one thread, so let me know how you did yours.

the only commercial board i saw that seemed worth anything was one made by core one, if anyones had any experience with that board as well, post some feedback on it.

untitled3yc.png

• Members

nice renderings...go build it now

i know the drawings are absolute crap, no need to joke there, too me 20 seconds in paint.

The problem with most ammo cans is that the hingedpart is on the end.

and alot of ammo cans do have the hinge on the end, but im not worried where the hinge is, i can work around that.

You should buy one and be done with it.

any suggestions?

• Members

get a pedaltrain. Depending on how big you want it, yyou can get one for between $80-250. Try ebay.

I have the junior and i have a tzf, a 16 sec delay, a dd20, a peachfuzz, a tuner, a sib varidrive. That's 6 pedals, but mine are kind of big. So if you have bosses or soemthing like that, the junior may be for you.

pedaltrain is excellent. It will pay for itself i swear to you.

• Members

well, i just pulled out a big block of plywood and started laying my pedals out, and i can get them all into a 24''x12'' space. so im probably going to build it since i have all the materials right here.
the layout i have so far is: guitar -> Ernie Ball VP JR + TU-2 (tuner out) -> Dunlop Crybaby original -> MXR Phase 90 -> DD-3 - CE-5 -> NS-2 -> amp.
im also throwing the channel switch on here as well, so that takes up a little 2"x3" space.
ive left 2 inches of room on the sides, 1 inch top and bottom. that way i can put handles on it, since im probably going to go the route to plan a+b. (sort of a boneyard tonebone deal). ive left an inch of space in between each pedal and im wondering if thats enough or not. most of the cables, im going to use george l's patch kit and most of the cables im going to drill holes and run under the board. im trying to think of some way i can run an input jack on the right side of the board and 2 outs on the right side (one for the channel switch and one to the amps input) but i dont know exactly how i would do this. i would want a jack with the little red locking button (dont know what to call it) but i dont know where to begin looking for one (im sure its going to be in the most obvious location, but i dont really know what to look for)
also, im thinking of getting a few of these pedals modded for true bypass, anyone got any good information on this?

• Members

Originally posted by BlackFox

Ernie Ball VP JR + TU-2 (tuner out) -> Dunlop Crybaby original ->

Do not use the tuner out on the EB vol, it sucks tone. If you are already using it, try puting your TU-2 in front of your chain and see how much better it sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarchris

Do not use the tuner out on the EB vol, it sucks tone. If you are already using it, try puting your TU-2 in front of your chain and see how much better it sounds.

+1...I've done both and this way works better for me too

• Members

You could buy a 5-Loooper from Loooper.com for $120, probably cheaper than paying to have your pedals converted to t/b. Keep the amp's footswitch off the board, trust me, been there and you wind up buying another amp and have this useless spot on your board that will only fit your old amp's footswitch. If running the cables underneath you'll need at least an inch of free space there. Invest in a good power supply like a PP2+ or DC Brick and locate it centrally on the board so all the cables reach the pedals. Keep it a simple plug'n'play setup and you'll do great.
Here's my homemade 32x17.5 board I made with 3/8 plywood & auto carpet:
PEDALBOARD1018.jpg
Good luck and have fun.

• Members

So, making my own board is something I've been considering for a few months, as well. The actual board seems like the easy part. Building it into a case or box for travel seems to be the hitch for me, I can't decide what to do.

FLYING V 83: how do you transport your board?

• Members

does the tuner-out really suck alot of tone? i cant see how, i mean its just going to be going to the tuner, nowhere else from there.
im going to put the channel switch on there anyways, just because i dont see myself getting rid of my amp, and i love its distortion. all im going to do is splice the cable to another out, and just zip tie 2 cables to goto my amp.
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~sdkuehn/pedalboard.htm
theres a pretty good idea of how i want it setup, except without the god ugly carpet.

• Members

Do you have the pedals yet?

Cuz if you're still looking at buying stompboxes there's really no way to tell what you'll need for a pedalboard

What boxes are you going to put in front of the amp? Are you going to put any in the efx loop?

For example, I ended up with kind of a hybrid rig.. .I've got a small efx rack with 3 pedals in it that sits on my head and is plugged into the efx loop. Then I've got about 7 pedals on a board in front of the amp

Play with the pedals for awhile before you get the order figured out... You're going to encounter noise problems and stuff like that... Take some time... don't expect this to be as easy as rack mount stuff...

• Members

for power, would you suggest a central block, or would dasy chaining be fine?
all i have are 6 pedals that need power, the switch is good to go already and the volume is completely passive.
also, is an inch of space between the pedals enough?

• Members

I could not be happier with my board and I built it myself. I do love the pedaltrains though, and if I were to buy one that would be it.

The great thing about building is that you can do whatever you want to. Any length any height, a complete shelf, a half shelf, etc. I have cable routing slots all through my board so I can run cables and power cords...enough room to tuck my pedalpower underneath the second level.

I was intimidated by building mine at first because I was thinking of the glue, and the carpet and cutting it all out right and then building the case, and having the latches and hinges and getting everything to line up perfectly...but in the end I decided I was making it way too complicated.

I used plywood, spray painted it black, (I haven't put feet screws on it yet, but I intend to in the future.) and bought a vintage suitcase that fit perfectly at the thrift store for about $5.

Archived