Loudness fo a 1watt amp compared to...?

Cowinacape

• Members

Just looking for some kind of general idea of how loud a 1 watt amp could expected to be through a 4x12. I personally have never heard a 1watt (tube) amp myself, the only thing I have to go buy is my my 100watt marshall that I have the master on about 9 and the pre on about 6-7 through a power brake set at 12-o'clock/1 o'clock through a 2x12 with G-12t75's.

For what it is worth I am thinking about the possibilites of running two 1 watt amps in stereo through a single 4x12.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

EDIT: Yes I know this is a amp related question, but the FX forums is much friendlierbiggrin1wt.gif

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Depends on the efficiency of the cabinet. At max volume it'll probably be around 100dB which will be quite a bit louder than you may expect.

Yep... It's all down to speaker effiency:

120Db is about the volume pressure of a loud rock band

• Members

GCDEF & elctmist, thanks that helps somewhat (at least to give me a good general idea).

grob-bucket , this is for home use, and I dont really have the space to set up dual cabinets. As it is I have to put my toys away in the gun room when I am done playing with them :D So when I do make use of my stuff I drag it out to the living room, do my thing then roll it all away. It also has to do with having less stuff to set up/take down.

I may say screw and just get another head and run them both as they are, just exploring my options is all. Looking at various rack set ups, dual combo amp set ups, yadda yadda yadda.

• Members

the biggest problem i have with 1 watt amps... clean headroom.

I like loud powerful cleans as well as pretty quiet effects laden cleans... It's not the volume that's an issue for me, but headroom. Also, if you want to use a fuzz or something, you're SOL. At a certain point, the amp becomes completely saturated and you have nowhere to go but down in volume/gain in order to use any kind of fuzz pedal... so going from midly overdriven to heavy fuzz is almost out of the question...

That's the biggest reason why I didnt get a univalve...

Archived