Can't get my wah pot cleaned

iAnders

• Members

I have a Automagic Silvermachine wah with a scratchy pot I can't get cleaned. I have sprayed it with WD-40 several times, but no luck. This has always worked before. I have a feeling I need a new pot.

What sucks is that this isn't the standard wah pot. These wahs use those "slider" pots like a volume fader on a mixer if you know what I mean.

Any tips on cleaning other than spraying it with WD40?

Thanks ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

Use contact cleaner, not WD-40. WD-40 is a lube not a cleaner. Pot may need replaced either way, though.

Actually WD-40 is a water displacer (hence the initials WD)

If you want to hear how much WD-40 is not a lube, stroll over to a motorcycle forum as ask if you can lube your drive chain with it (guaranteed to start a several day argument, especially when everyone has PMS - Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)

Contact Cleaner is the right thing to use. I got mine at Radio Shack.

What is the value of the pot? You can get replacement sliders, you just need to look a big harder.

Any pictures of this wah? I've never seen one that uses a linear pot. Is it a standard treadle pedal with a connection to the linear pot, or do you slide your foot?

• Members

Originally posted by hoerni

Any pictures of this wah? I've never seen one that uses a linear pot. Is it a standard treadle pedal with a connection to the linear pot, or do you slide your foot?

Sorry I don't have any pics of it. It works like a normal wah, but has a string connected to the back of the pedal that goes through the chassis and over to the pot. The pot is spring loaded. I don't know if there are any real advantages in doing it like this. Maybe they did it to get a lower chassis. I don't know.

I'll look for the right stuff to clean it with, thanks!

• Members

Hey iAnders,

Try using a contact cleaner to clean the tone pot by spraying the contact cleaner into a small opening on the tone pot and be sure to move the pedal to clean the contact points of the tone pot. If that doesn't remove the scratchiness of the tone pot, then you'll have to find a replacement tone pot for your wah pedal. You might want to contact the manufacturer for the correct replacement tone pot.

Guitar George

Archived