Line 6 FM-4 question...

nosferatu123

• Members

I was wondering, can it do volume swells? Auto volume swells based on the volume of the input note? Like the Boss SG-1 or Guyatone SV-2?

I remember forumite Gambit posting a clip a long time back about how he had found a strange setting on the Throbber or Spin Cycle mode i believe which enabled him to achieve auto volume swells.... Anyone able to do this?

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

When I was twiddling knobs, I got something to that effect, but it was completely random knob twisting, so that doesn't help, though it does exist. I'm trying to get around that problem with the microsynth right now.

If you still have the FM-4.. Try and see if you can nail that setting again.

• Members

Originally posted by nosferatu123

If you still have the FM-4.. Try and see if you can nail that setting again.

I'm at school and, unfortunately, didn't bring it. I brought the microsynth instead. I'm pretty sure you can do it with the fm-4 though. If not, get out your volume pedal or twiddle your guitars volume knob. Sorry, I couldn't be more help. It's like having the envelope open and close real fast, I think. Maybe not though.

• Members

i find my dl4 to do this very well. the fm4 does that volume swell, too, but when i tested it, it sounded very synth-like and not very useful for me. if you just want it for volume swell get a dl4. if you like the more weird synth-like-swell and other synth stuff get a fm4. maybe the microsynth is also a thought...

• Members

Originally posted by stereotypy

i find my dl4 to do this very well. the fm4 does that volume swell, too, but when i tested it, it sounded very synth-like and not very useful for me. if you just want it for volume swell get a dl4. if you like the more weird synth-like-swell and other synth stuff get a fm4. maybe the microsynth is also a thought...

Thans man, im primarily using it for fast synth lead lines, so ill need it to be able to handle quick phrases. I doubt the DL-4 is capable of that.....but i guess ill have to go for the fm4...

• Members

the DL-4 does the volume swell, and it does it better than the SG-1 I once had

the FM-4 has a synth model (I think it's the Growler), where you can get a kind of bowed sort of volume swell synth effect, and it does it pretty fast, 3 notes per second or so

if you'rte looking for bowed synth sounds, then the Microsynth indeed is a great alternative, does volume swells pretty good and sounds warmer and prettier than the synth models on the FM-4, which are wackier

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

the DL-4 does the volume swell, and it does it better than the SG-1 I once had

the FM-4 has a synth model (I think it's the Growler), where you can get a kind of bowed sort of volume swell synth effect, and it does it pretty fast, 3 notes per second or so

if you'rte looking for bowed synth sounds, then the Microsynth indeed is a great alternative, does volume swells pretty good and sounds warmer and prettier than the synth models on the FM-4, which are wackier

Heres what i have in mind actually, im trying to cop a saxaphone/reedy tone. Ive got a Tonebone which im loading into a UD Stomp, ill be getting a a compressor to create a bit of sustain but im primarily looking for a pedal that will mute off parts of my pick and swell my volume up really quick much like a sax player blowing into a saxaphone. Microsynth aside, which do you think will fit it better the DL-4 or FM-4? And does the DL-4 have a knob for sensitivity or is it preset?

• Members

I think you'll find the Microsynth a bit too slow and the FM-4 too artificial

the Auto-Volume model on the DL-4 seems the most suited for what you're after. This model is 2 effects in one, auto volume fade-in, low settings on the TWEEZ control gives a short swell time, the other effect is a tape echo with wow&flutter modulation

pretty easy to use though

another budget friendly alternative could be the Guyatone SV-2, which is basically the same pedal as the SG-1, but I never tried the SV-2

the SG-1 however, was kind of a dissapointment, not at all easy to use,you have to use a stable pick attack and have to finetune it depending on which notes you play

Archived