Boomerang vs RC-20 vs JamMan

blackrose

• Members

I'm in the market for a looper and these three seem to be the three big dogs. My local Guitar Center only has the RC-20 so I haven't been able to jam with the other two. Is the Boomerang worth the extra $100 or so? Is the JamMan's 2GB worth the extra money?

• Members

Only one I have owned so far is the Rang. I sold it but will probably buy another one and a RC-XL at the same time to decide which I want more. The Jam Man might be great, but I have never liked DigiTech stuff and don't see myself trying it. The Boomerang is a good pedal. Very easy to operate, extremely nice layout. My only problem with it was that it seemed to clip easily. To get around this I just recorded stuff at lower volumes and then boosted it for the loop.

And if you look around a while the Rang won't be an extra $100. I got mine for $300 shipped.

• Members

I have the boss and used the old rang for a while. The boss is excellent with the undo feature and the ability to move through stored loops but does degrade a little. The rang was set up awesome with the volume roller and basic record loop reverse functions, the newer one lets you flip between two loops if I remember correctly.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

• Members

I had the Boomerang for a while and I loved it, but I had to trade it for a TZF. The good: it sounded great and was easy to use. The bad: it is REALLY easy to press the buttons. So easy that it can be difficult to time everything correctly. Also, the roller was hard to set at a good volume without going over or under. I use the Boss RC-20XL now. There is some slight tone degradation in the loop, but not enough to make me want to get rid of it. You have to ask yourself what you are going to use it for. Live? Boomerang. Practice? BOSS!!! With the Boss, you can record and store your loops. When I write music, I start with the basic chords with the bass drum time keeper, turn on the Bass Microsynth set to provide Bass tones and record the bass, then record accents or other ideas, then I can take the thing to practice and tell the band "Here's my song". :thu:

• Members

I recently got a DigiTech JamMan. It looks like and acts like the RC20XL, only in blue. Actually, I traded the RC20XL back in for the JamMan. They're both just under $300.

JamMan pros:

compact flash storage - 1GB card can store over 3 hours of loops

99 loop locations (which can be selected as loops or one-shot)

xlr input for microphone

1/4" output jack can also be used with headphones

sound quality is great (cd quality 44.1kHz)

usb connection to dump your loops as .wav files to computer

power adapter is included

JamMan cons:

cannot fade out of a loop (like the RC20XL)

cannot use batteries

So far, it's working pretty well for me at its main function as a looper. Although, I could also use the JamMan as a pseudo digital recorder, to record entire gigs or practice sessions of the band via the output of the mixing board. Can't wait to try that.

maxed

out

• Members

Originally posted by blackrose

I'm in the market for a looper and these three seem to be the three big dogs. My local Guitar Center only has the RC-20 so I haven't been able to jam with the other two. Is the Boomerang worth the extra $100 or so? Is the JamMan's 2GB worth the extra money?

you are not asking the right questions. You don't say "these are the big dogs...." without saying why. The most important factor should be "why do i need a looper?" If you have never played one, i'd recommend a simple one, like an akai headrush or maybe a boss. These are around $160 used. You need to do the research. Go to loopersdelight.com for info. Do you want the delay to be a certain length? Many loopers have only about 20 sec. If you want more, then forget about the zvex loop junky or the akai headrush and some others. Do you want overdub? Loop junky has no overdub. If you want fidelity, than some are better than others. Some loopers double as an effect. Most loopers have a delay function, however some like the 16 sec can be used as a flanger, chorus. Some can do reverse loop. The mechanism by which the loop is start/stop is probably the most important factor imo. When the piece loops and doesn't sound right when it loops, then it'll be horrible. Some loopers will memorize the piece even when turned off, others won't. For me it came down to fidelity, ease of use and midi-out. I ended up getting the 16 sec delay from ehx. It has 4 minutes of loop plus overdub with good fidelity and has midi out for drum machine. It is an excellent looper, with some unique features not available in other loopers, but has a funky 4 click start that annoys alot of people. I dig it though. Many loopers and many questions you must ask.

btw, the jamman seems interesting. It might be the best looper available for that kind of price range. It has a lot of bells and whistle. However it doesn't have midi-out... if only it does... I have to try one tho.

the one horrible secrets about loopers is that soemtimes thy are noisy. DOn't know why. Some of them just are. You need to play first.

• Members

Originally posted by Cow4prez

you are not asking the right questions. You don't say "these are the big dogs...." without saying why. The most important factor should be "why do i need a looper?" If you have never played one, i'd recommend a simple one, like an akai headrush or maybe a boss. These are around $160 used. You need to do the research. Go to loopersdelight.com for info. Do you want the delay to be a certain length? Many loopers have only about 20 sec. If you want more, then forget about the zvex loop junky or the akai headrush and some others. Do you want overdub? Loop junky has no overdub. If you want fidelity, than some are better than others. Some loopers double as an effect. Most loopers have a delay function, however some like the 16 sec can be used as a flanger, chorus. Some can do reverse loop. The mechanism by which the loop is start/stop is probably the most important factor imo. When the piece loops and doesn't sound right when it loops, then it'll be horrible. Some loopers will memorize the piece even when turned off, others won't. For me it came down to fidelity, ease of use and midi-out. I ended up getting the 16 sec delay from ehx. It has 4 minutes of loop plus overdub with good fidelity and has midi out for drum machine. It is an excellent looper, with some unique features not available in other loopers, but has a funky 4 click start that annoys alot of people. I dig it though. Many loopers and many questions you must ask.

btw, the jamman seems interesting. It might be the best looper available for that kind of price range. It has a lot of bells and whistle. However it doesn't have midi-out... if only it does... I have to try one tho.

the one horrible secrets about loopers is that soemtimes thy are noisy. DOn't know why. Some of them just are. You need to play first.

Ok. I want a looper mainly for practice and writing. Playing harmonies with myself and doing crazy {censored} live with multiple overdubs would be my secondary use for it. I want a looper that will degrade the sound quality as little as possible.

Oh, and the noise is caused by multiple overdubs of a low amount of noise (you usually can't even hear it right away). Eventually, the noise is doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc etc.

• Members

Originally posted by blackrose

Ok. I want a looper mainly for practice and writing. Playing harmonies with myself and doing crazy shit with multiple overdubs would be my secondary use for it. I want a looper that will degrade the sound quality as little as possible.

you got to be a bit more specific than that. All 3 of those loopers will do nicely for what you want, although the boomerang is more of a performer than a studio toy. The RC20 is also a performer. The jamman seems to be more of a studio gear than a performer, but has lots of options. According to the reviews the jamman is not quantized, so you have to be right on when you stop the loop. The rc20xl is quantized. It seems to me like the rc20xl would be a better buy, but this is from just looking at the jamman's spect. It seems to have that 99 loop storage that they try to advertise. The flash card, although interesting, is not really all that useful. The idea behind a pedal looper is to be free of computers. If i want software-based loopers, there are many better options. The jamman does offer the possibility of adding bass and drum lines to the loop, which is sort of interesting. I haven't had much problems with sound degradation at all. Shouldn't be a huge issue, unless you are a huge fidelity nut. For you definately don't buy the loop junky, akai or the dl4. There are some reviews in the hc effects section. Have a good read :)

Archived