This new Supreme court nominee

blaghaus

• Members

I haven't been able to read up on him yet, because I've been busy with work and spent the time in between doing work by reading that Jrak thread. And now I think I might be too stupid to comment. The one thing I DID read this morning before work was that he's called Scalia-lite, which doesn't sound like someone I'd choose.

My initial thought, and the one that I had from the get-go when Miers was nominated, is that she was a decoy just to waste some time, in the hope that the next candidate would be okayed just to save the nation any downtime during a SECOND nomination fight.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Seriously...

Are there no qualified women in the whole Federal Court system?

Is there really only one (grossly unqualified) woman who could even be considered?

[sigh]

Same old knob gobbling to get ahead as always...that's why

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I haven't been able to read up on him yet, because I've been busy with work and spent the time in between doing work by reading that Jrak thread. And now I think I might be too stupid to comment. The one thing I DID read this morning before work was that he's called Scalia-lite, which doesn't sound like someone I'd choose.

My initial thought, and the one that I had from the get-go when Miers was nominated, is that she was a decoy just to waste some time, in the hope that the next candidate would be okayed just to save the nation any downtime during a SECOND nomination fight.

From what I can gather, this may actually be a bit of a war because of the 'Nuclear Option' thing.

• Members

I don't really watch The Daily Show (though everyone tells me that I should, and though I'd most likely love it), but I DID catch one clip they had on last week of Trent Lott saying something to the effect of:

"I think the president should choose the most qualified man, woman, or minority that he can." (not sure of the exact quote, but you get the picture)....

• Members

I don't really watch The Daily Show (though everyone tells me that I should, and though I'd most likely love it), but I DID catch one clip they had on last week of Trent Lott saying something to the effect of:

"I think the president should choose the most qualified man, woman, or minority that he can." (not sure of the exact quote, but you get the picture)....

you got pretty f'in' close. that was brilliant.

• Members

Hmmm. Now I'm sort of worried. I went to Dr. James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" website and this is his personal reaction to the nomination:

"We are extremely pleased by President Bush's selection of Judge Samuel Alito, who has earned the respect of colleagues in both parties for his legal acumen and courtroom demeanor. As a federal judge for the last 15 years, Judge Alito has demonstrated that he understands the role of the judiciary is to interpret existing law in light of the Constitution, not make new law in service to a personal political agenda.

"Perhaps the most encouraging early indication that Judge Alito will make a great justice is that liberal senators such as Harry Reid and Charles Schumer and leftist pressure groups such as People for the American Way and Planned Parenthood have been lining up all day to scream that the sky is falling. Any nominee who so worries the radical left is worthy of serious consideration.

"Based on what is now known about Judge Alito, we applaud the president for this outstanding nomination."

• Members

Why is it that any time a ruling is made that conservatives don't favor it's considered to be a judge "making the law rather than interpreting?"

I've yet to see sufficient examples of this.

I've seen sufficient examples of what they think it is, but it's just not how I see it.

When people say that, are they not really simply saying they disagree with the judgement?

• Members

Hmmm. Now I'm sort of worried. I went to Dr. James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" website and this is his personal reaction to the nomination:

"We are extremely pleased by President Bush's selection of Judge Samuel Alito, who has earned the respect of colleagues in both parties for his legal acumen and courtroom demeanor. As a federal judge for the last 15 years, Judge Alito has demonstrated that he understands the role of the judiciary is to interpret existing law in light of the Constitution, not make new law in service to a personal political agenda.

"Perhaps the most encouraging early indication that Judge Alito will make a great justice is that liberal senators such as Harry Reid and Charles Schumer and leftist pressure groups such as People for the American Way and Planned Parenthood have been lining up all day to scream that the sky is falling. Any nominee who so worries the radical left is worthy of serious consideration.

"Based on what is now known about Judge Alito, we applaud the president for this outstanding nomination."

i just have a {censored}ing chuckle EVERY TIME i hear a democrat being referred to as "the radical left."

as if some Che Guevara look-alike is raising his fist in defiance of the norm from some podium.

former Sen. Paul Wellstone was the only thing close to a true extreme leftist most recently elected to congress, and he's not exactly what i'd call a "radical."

Dobson is a joke.

• Members

That's fairly typical of what you see from a lot of evangelical leaders, though...A lot of talk with no real substance. They don't really cite anything; instead, they base their judgement (heh heh) of the guy on the fact that people on the left don't like him.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? (that's a direct quote from Alien vs. Predator, by the way... :D )

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

former Sen. Paul Wellstone was the only thing close to a true extreme leftist most recently elected to congress, and he's not exactly what i'd call a "radical."

Funny thing is, he's the one Democrat with whom I would've truly agreed. He was an all-around great guy. Honest, hardworking, etc. My dad works with this nun (they're therapists, etc. in Cincy's innercity) who has a theory that the right made Wellstone's plane crash. While I don't know if I'd go that far, I think he scared a lot of folks in BOTH parties.

• Members

1. If Roe v. Wade is overturned, the religious right loses it's most effective fund raising tool.

2. Judges have ALWAYS protected the rights of the rich to screw the poor. Always will. All judges.

3. This is another short term tactic by BushCo to distract and divide. Unfortunately, they are very good at this.

4. If the Alito nomination actually gets the Democrats to come up with an "opposition party" agenda and start fighting back against the excesses of the far right, it will be well worth the pain.

• Members

Funny thing is, he's the one Democrat with whom I would've truly agreed. He was an all-around great guy. Honest, hardworking, etc. My dad works with this nun (they're therapists, etc. in Cincy's innercity) who has a theory that the right made Wellstone's plane crash. While I don't know if I'd go that far, I think he scared a lot of folks in BOTH parties.

too bad he was assassinated.

• Members

Originally posted by bucket_brigadier

too bad he was assassinated.

sorry - i don't buy that.

those commuter planes can be tossed from the sky with just a couple of things out of whack - there's barely any safety backup systems, and the weather can send them reeling if the right events occur.

one of MO's dem senators went down the same way, yet i'd hardly call him a thorn in the right wingers sides - he was mostly moderate (as most dem senators from the midwest are).

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

sorry - i don't buy that.

those commuter planes can be tossed from the sky with just a couple of things out of whack - there's barely any safety backup systems, and the weather can send them reeling if the right events occur.

one of MO's dem senators went down the same way, yet i'd hardly call him a thorn in the right wingers sides - he was mostly moderate (as most dem senators from the midwest are).

Okay, I was being a provocateur.

Wouldn't shock me if he was assassinated though.

• Members

I agree, I thought the same thing; Miers was a stalking horse all along.

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

White House's Alito talking points fall into enemy hands:

Interesting link there.

The one case that I've read about so far that gets my dander up is one where he ruled (as the minority on a three-judge bench) that it was okay for police to stripsearch a ten year old girl.

Okay before I have my say on what this says about him as a human, I'll link to a very nicely written and thought out defense of his ruling by a conservative that I found:

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/012114.php

I agree with a lot of that thinking. Hell, I worked with and dealt with and helped the worst scum on earth, including children. But the thing that one has to realize is that children are children, and there needs to be a sense of treating them as children in order that they are given a chance to become adults without more harmful attitudes and memories than they're already going to have.

The {censored}er wants to do right by children in his thoughts on abortion; why doesn't he feel the same way with kids that are already here and hurting?

Archived