Boss Gt8 & Peavey 5150ii

don_johnson

• Members

a question if anybody knows the answer?

i have a peavey 51500 mkII head and some pedals at the moment, but i plan to sell my pedals and buy a GT8. I have owned over 60 pedals in my time, plus rack effects and multi effects and i know the advantages of single pedals, but they will not do what I plan on doing with the GT8 when i get it.

I just need to know that what i plan to do will work, so any light shed on this would be appreciated. here goes...

connect guitar to input on GT8>effects send on GT8 to input on amp>send on amp to effects return on GT8>output on GT8 to return on amp.

now then, in my head this will put the preamp of my amp into the effects loop of my GT8, meaning wah, comp, od, dist etc will be before the preamp, and all chorus, delay, reverb etc type effects after my preamp. this is correct, no?

if this is so (and this is the part i'm unsure on), then in theory I'd be able to leave my lead channel on the amp ON all the time, and have a patch set on the GT8 with the loop switched ON for my distorted sounds, and a patch with the effects loop switched OFF (in theory taking the preamp out of the effects chain and going direct to the return jack on my amp) with some nice clean amp modelling switched ON instead for my clean sounds?

is this correct?

my reason for doing this is because i like the lead channel so much, it's my favourite metal rhythm sound in the world, but i hate the clean channel. I know the GT8 has some nice clean sounds in it so i'm thinking this set up will let me use my 5150II as a mere power amp for the clean models of the GT8, and use the amp as it was designed for my distorted sounds.

I would only really use 2 patches on the GT8 and switch all effects in and out manually as if they were stomp boxes.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, but WILL IT WORK?

sorry for the length of this but i needed to describe it in detail to make sure everyone knew what i was on about.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Members

Yes, what you have just described is commonly known as the "four-cable method".

It works quite well with the GT-8, and furthermore, the way the GT-8's internal processing works, the effects loop can be put in any order just like any other effect. So by patching your amp's preamp into the GT-8, you can for instance place it after EQ, compression, and overdrive, but before delay and reverb.

Also, the effects loop can be on or off within any patch so you can switch your amps preamp in and out depending on the patch. The GT-8 also has a single function channel switcher so it might be able to switch channels on your amp as well.

• Members

cheers guys. i'm glad this will work.

and it won't switch channels on my amp cos it has a stupid 7 pin cable for the footswitch.

i plan on one day running it like i described here and adding a marshal dsl100 to my rig and getting the GT8 to switch channels on that for me at the same time.

just one more thing, am i right in saying that when the loop on the gt8 is switched out (which means the preamp of my amp is out of the chain) does that mean the only controls on my amp that would function are the post gain on the lead channel and the resonance and presence controls also as almost like a global EQ?

• Members

Yep, if you have your preamp in the gt-8's loop and you switch the loop off, your preamp controls won't have any effect on the sound...you are basically just going guitar->gt-8->power amp in on your 5150 at that point.

You could check these guys out if you wanted MIDI control over switching functions/channels on your 5150.

http://www.axess-electronics.com/

the CX4($150) and the 5150 cable($30) would be what you need.

Archived