Why is it that the only good music mtv plays...

Alexbiscuit

• Members

That's how it's been for years. I've thought about it, too, and what I've come up with is that the production folks at MTV are probably some very tasteful and fun and musically inclined folks. So, even though they can't control the main musical direction (if there even IS one anymore) of the channel (THAT is done by fat old white men who've analyzed just what they can play to make the young girls moist and the suburban wiggaz bob dey headz; those're the two demographics that make them the most in ad money, I'd bet, being well-to-do and stupidly impressionable), even though they can't control the main musical direction, they CAN have fun inserting good music in the shows that they produce.

I mean, think about it. You're at an "art" school where folks do graphic design and sound engineering and video and whatnot. THOSE are the types of kids that'll get hired by MTV. And I'd be willing to bet that a large percent of the kids at your school have really good musical taste. So, because they get hired to do something that is totally against their mindset and scruples, they have to make up for it somehow otherwise. Just like this NASCAR book I did recently at work.

• Members

Thats a very good point, dude. Sadly, i wish there were more people with decent music taste here but there aren't. I mean, there are TONS more than in highschool, but its still pretty rare to see someone that doesnt have nsync on their itunes...

I can see the guy selecting music for one of MTVs 1000 TV shows putting in his favorite stuff, because thats stuff I'd like to be doing, and I'd do it too.

• Members

Originally posted by Alexbiscuit

Thats a very good point, dude. Sadly, i wish there were more people with decent music taste here but there aren't. I mean, there are TONS more than in highschool, but its still pretty rare to see someone that doesnt have nsync on their itunes...

But even though you might feel like there aren't a lot of people with good musical taste at your school, I'd wager that there are a {censored}load more than at any other type of school. Maybe other artsy schools (or really liberal schools like Oberlin or someplace) would be about the same, but I look back at my own college (Marquette) and the majority of people were ALWAYS listening to {censored}ty music.

I mean, while I was there in undergrad (95-99), it was stuff like Dave Matthews, Indigo Girls, Blues Traveler, Counting Crows, Sarah McLachan, Hootie and the Blowfish, etc. Then as I got older and then did grad school (00-02), it was more boybandish or pop stuff, as well as more hiphop. So consider yourself lucky if it's just a random Nsync song here or there.

ALSO, it could be that maybe you're being TOO critical of folks. Do the people you're referring to as having bad taste just have SOME bad stuff, mixed in with good stuff, too? Because there's nothing wrong with a little slumming now and then. I mean, I assaulted all sorts of college friends with endless nights of Extreme. My wife is a Dave Matthews and Green Day fan, despite also loving good stuff like Weezer, Fountains of Wayne, Tom Waits, etc. Maybe you just caught them on a bad day. AND, if they're hot girls, remember not to let them know that you don't like their music until the next day.

• Members

I see what youre saying, but I always wait to see every band they listen to before judging based on 1. Hey I have a few DMB songs on my itunes as well because I had alot of good memories while that {censored} was playing in past years. I'm not one to deny it.

BUT to get back to the point, yes, there are tons more people at Columbia that like good music than at most other schools. I went to my girlfriend's school last night (depaul) and i didn't see one person there that would appear to like good music (blah blah its reflected by appearance most of the time). Actually I think my best friends that happen to also go to that school are the some of the only ones that do like decent music.

• Members

I went to my girlfriend's school last night (depaul) and i didn't see one person there that would appear to like good music (blah blah its reflected by appearance most of the time).

So you're guessing people's musical taste by their physical apperance? That's pretty weak, dude.

• Members

Originally posted by airship71

So you're guessing people's musical taste by their physical apperance? That's pretty weak, dude.

I sort of know what he's saying, though. I mean, there are certain "tells" when in a mostly homogenized group that you can use to find those that like the same type of music. I'm not in ANY way saying that these are gospel. And once you get out of college, most of this goes COMPLETELY out the window.

But I'll use my college experience as an example. I went to Marquette up in Milwaukee. Over fifty percent of that school consists of North Shore Nancies like Alex here (folks who grew up on the northside or northern suburbs of Chicago). Thus, a lot of them had the same characteristics: blue dress shirts, khaki pants, hemp or shell necklaces, white USC Cocks hats or Notre Dame hats, etc. And while this MIGHT be an overgeneralization, I was pretty successful at finding the folks from among that general group who enjoyed the same things as me. It might've been as obvious as them hearing the blatant britpop blasting from my dormroom, or that they smoked (and not just at parties), or that they laughed at altar boy jokes, or anything. But you've just got to find your own ways of meeting people. Thing is, always keep your eyes open while you're judging.

• Members

I'd have to agree. You'd be surprised at who might just turn you onto something really cool and tucked-away. Lots of the time, the people who 'look like they'd like good music' don't like good music, and if they do a certain proportion - larger or smaller depending on your level of cynicism - are surely like wannabe wine afficianados who just order whatever expensive thing that they saw in a magazine, and couldn't tell the difference between that and a common port. (Not that I could, but I don't make any pretenses about it, either). They might like some 'cool bands' just because they're they in thing amongst whomever and they emulate those people rather than emulate a fashion that is more visible or common.

I think that you can 'read' a person visually, to an extent, but things may change quickly as you peel back the layers. You might be right, you could be dead wrong. My old roommate in Florida was a Texan who worked as a garbageman, and while some stereotypes were certainly there - big Budweiser/NASCAR fan, for example - he could also cook four-star meals. A friend of mine is a professional father on the surface, a drug addict that's undermining his family's financial security via his habit underneath.

Nothing, once you look at it hard enough, is what it seems.

• Members

its so true.

although from experience i'll tell you that a lot of the production for those shows isn't handled by mtv.

for instance, my old band had a song that was used as background music for Viva La Bam. we were contacted by a separate production company that did not appear to be owned by MTV.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I mean, think about it. You're at an "art" school where folks do graphic design and sound engineering and video and whatnot. THOSE are the types of kids that'll get hired by MTV. And I'd be willing to bet that a large percent of the kids at your school have really good musical taste. So, because they get hired to do something that is totally against their mindset and scruples, they have to make up for it somehow otherwise. Just like this NASCAR book I did recently at work.

Wait, what..NASCAR...Booook.

Is it a Picturebook?;)

• Members

is in the background of Real World?

i seriously just heard a tristeza song, and a little bit ago a mono song.

They play Desert Sessions and QOTSA in the background of Viva La Bam all of the time... whenever my sister watches that show I hear some obscure song that I really don't want the MTV audience to listen to or enjoy...

• Members

Originally posted by Fingermush

Wait, what..NASCAR...Booook.

Is it a Picturebook?
;)

Yes. Hold on. I'll see if it's available online anywhere yet....Doesn't look like it yet (I just got the advance copy from the printer in China a couple weeks ago). I'll find out when it goes on sale. Until then, either today or tomorrow, I'll scan a scene or two.

• Members

Originally posted by Leftside

They play Desert Sessions and QOTSA in the background of Viva La Bam all of the time... whenever my sister watches that show I hear some obscure song that I really don't want the MTV audience to listen to or enjoy...

Ah, and now we get into an even bigger issue:

"MTV never plays any good music! People always listen to {censored}ty stuff!"

"Hey! They're playing the new Deerhoof song! NOOOOOOOOOO! They can't do that, they're my band!"

• Members

Originally posted by VotaIdiota

Ah, and now we get into an even bigger issue:

"MTV never plays any good music! People always listen to {censored}ty stuff!"

"Hey! They're playing the new Deerhoof song! NOOOOOOOOOO! They can't do that, they're my band!"

wow. i had missed Leftside's post. that's really weird thinking to me.

i'm hoping it was ironic...?

• Members

ah dont get me wrong im 100% down to earth and level headed about the fact that they dont have to look a certain way to like music, I'm just saying that CHANCES ARE you will dress a certain way.

Chances were drastically against me, I guess.

You'd be suprised how many NU students are into what you refer to as "good music," but look like everyone else here (North Face, Polo, etc.). I mean, look at me!

• Members

Yeah I hear Fireball Ministry tunes on real world all the friggin time!

I would also have to fall into that category of people dressing in ways you wouldn't think have good taste in music. I wear mostly whatever polo shirts I have leftover or no logo type shirts with khaki pants or jeans. I hate clothing that has a massive logo on it...I'm not a freakin billboard for the company.

• Members

There are some people here who you can stereotypicaly identify as being into a certain genre of music. Those guys with the big gold chains are usually country music stars, but its a lot less evident then it was in the highschool scene. Actually, I should rephrase that, its more diverse in the daytime, at night and on the weekends, people seem to wander back into their genre specific identities.

Me? I wear jeans and a t-shirt and a flannel shirt in the winter to keep warm. I'm not sure where that puts me, though if I wanted people to identify me, I'd probably have to dawn a grateful dead or tye-died shirt and some khackis.

For instance, last night I was listening to a little music, and I come out of my room to go down the hall to use the bathroom, and someone spots me on there and asks me what the {censored} was I listening to? I reply, "Its Buffalo Springfield." He looked kind of weird after that like I wouldn't be into psychedellic/uber-folk rock from the 60s. Of course, it also could've just been because it was like 3am.

Archived