I like the new VW Passat.

papa taco

• Members

Originally posted by Mesabooger

While II like German cars, I don't like VWs for reasons mentioned in this thread. I drove a golf for half a year and hated it.

I am convinced Passat is "piece of {censored}" said quickly.

aww thats it, u had problems with your golf ages ago

u gotta hang here more bro

i miss ya

• Members

I used to really like VWs. I had a 72 Super Beetle (lowered, black/white with EMPI eight-spokes) and an 87 Jetta. At first I really liked the Jetta, and then I started working on it. And then I started checking out Japanese cars...

VW fell far, far down in my eyes. There's nothing they make for the money that I would rather get than something from, say, Nissan. Up until the most recent model changes, the Golf/Jettas were the same chassis as my 87, just with about 800-1000lbs added onto it. Not the greatest chassis in the world, but it worked great when it was light. The shift action was always terrible - I remember getting too drunk one fourth of July and having my cousin drive my Jetta, and while he'd drag raced Mustangs with sticks, he couldn't find first without my help on the Jetta's uber-vague shifter.

VWs have a lot of flash, and they definately drive better than US cars, but I'll be buying Japanese for quite awhile. Early 90's at that - FWD and four bangers are great when you're talking a 2200-2500lb car, less so when you start cresting the 3k mark. For the money, and if I really cared about how nice the interior is, I'd go with a Mazda 3s hatch. As for the R32, an STi or Evo will hand it it's ass for less money. Passat? I might be less picky with that - it's a family sedan, after all. Less than sporting. Still, if I wanted a nice, roomy car for the fam, I'd likely go with an Altima. Nice lines, roomy as hell, huge trunk. You could probably get an Altima SE-R for less than a Passat, too.

To each his own, I suppose.

• Members
Originally posted by mabus013

I used to really like VWs. I had a 72 Super Beetle (lowered, black/white with EMPI eight-spokes) and an 87 Jetta. At first I really liked the Jetta, and then I started working on it. And then I started checking out Japanese cars...

VW fell far, far down in my eyes. There's nothing they make for the money that I would rather get than something from, say, Nissan. Up until the most recent model changes, the Golf/Jettas were the same chassis as my 87, just with about 800-1000lbs added onto it. Not the greatest chassis in the world, but it worked great when it was light. The shift action was always terrible - I remember getting too drunk one fourth of July and having my cousin drive my Jetta, and while he'd drag raced Mustangs with sticks, he couldn't find first without my help on the Jetta's uber-vague shifter.

VWs have a lot of flash, and they definately drive better than US cars, but I'll be buying Japanese for quite awhile. Early 90's at that - FWD and four bangers are great when you're talking a 2200-2500lb car, less so when you start cresting the 3k mark. For the money, and if I really cared about how nice the interior is, I'd go with a Mazda 3s hatch. As for the R32, an STi or Evo will hand it it's ass for less money. Passat? I might be less picky with that - it's a family sedan, after all. Less than sporting. Still, if I wanted a nice, roomy car for the fam, I'd likely go with an Altima. Nice lines, roomy as hell, huge trunk. You could probably get an Altima SE-R for less than a Passat, too.

Well, you'd know cars seeing as you {censored}ing live in one, sparky!
:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by mabus013

Still, if I wanted a nice, roomy car for the fam, I'd likely go with an Altima. Nice lines, roomy as hell, huge trunk. You could probably get an Altima SE-R for less than a Passat, too.

hey, my 1997 jetta's trunk is bigger than my friends new nissan altima trunk! That being said, my backseat isn't very roomy at all. Luckly, I dont have to sit back there! :cool:

I also have problems sometimes shifting into 1st gear, but I can usually get it quite quickly.

• Members

Originally posted by sirhcathome

At work we had the debate, can a straight man drive a VW if they are not German? While this is the US, the answer was no.

My brother is really against VWs because their bumpers are made from like 40 parts and really hard to repair. He is an insurance adjuster.

not to mention the new ones have wayyyy too many suspension parts. 14 {censored}in ball joints? absurd.

Archived