WOT: What happened to the underground of the 90s?

converge

• Members

Basement rawk , usually consists of bands blatently ripping off The Stooges or Blastbeat-Dance-Thrashcore.

Here are a few exceptions:
The Lost Sounds- Black-Wave (Basement-synth-rawk)
The Vanishing- Still lifes are Failing (terminal 80's dance-goth)
A-Frames-S/T, Black Forest (negativ-devolutionary Jank-Rawk)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

isnt the new scene mostly a reworking of post-punk type sounds, ie: stuff that sounds like: gang of four, television, joy division, etc....?

when i think of the current scene, i think of bands like: clap your hands, interpol, the walkmen....ya know; that new york-ish sound?

• Members

Originally posted by vanguard

when i think of the current scene, i think of bands like: clap your hands, interpol, the walkmen....ya know; that new york-ish sound?

it all depends on what yer into.

there's also a whole "quiet is the new loud" scene: mount erie, iron & wine, delaney, etc.

or melancholy pop: shins, death cab, etc.

or...

• Members

Originally posted by 5F1G

this is way to intellectual for me. how bout everyone just play. music's just too damned vast to go down a rabbit hole.

it really isn't, its just unfamiliar territory for you. I understand, I have felt the same way before.

• Members

i think the problem is that your looking for more of the same.
this kind of music isnt underground anymore....because its mainstream.
there are TONS of kick ass "underground" bands around...just no set scene to grab on to.

its also very regonal.
im soooo {censored}ing sick of bands that sound like lightning bolt and usaisamonster.
same thing thing with the "math rock" explosion of the late 90s.
but there are in fact boands in the boston area doing amazing things that wont catch one because they dont have peers playing similar music.

Archived