WOT: What happened to the underground of the 90s?

converge

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Aster Blistok

there is a great underground of 00s too. you just have to dig little deeper.

Tru dat. As much as I like Drive Like Jehu, it feels more than a little weird to see them being talked up here when so few current "underground" bands get any props on HC. They were a cool band and all but it's more than a decade since I saw them and things have moved on. Why wait for bands to be eulogised and re-released?

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

nice thread

i thought you quit the forum for a while?!~?

anyway, welcome back...

the internet and places like UO and the gap made subverisive culture hip. Im wearing gap stuff and putting out psych tunes on the internet...same as everyone else

i wanna to wear thrift store duds? trendy

gap duds? trendy

armani? perry farrell wore armani too

screwed...

• Members
Originally posted by troubbble

I think there's a fake underground that's the psuedo-intellectual's pop music scene.

I hope that didn't sound too smart
:confused:

you are right. there is. and there always was. it is up to you to make difference between real "alternative" (i don't have better term) played with guts and heart and head that can possibly move boundaries and faker/art-snobby music played because of trying to achieve status among snobby community (for example).
tv in 90s messed things up too. what they call underground or alternative is not alternative at all.

• Members

Originally posted by AF-100

Tru dat. As much as I like Drive Like Jehu, it feels more than a little weird to see them being talked up here when so few current "underground" bands get any props on HC. They were a cool band and all but it's more than a decade since I saw them and things have moved on. Why wait for bands to be eulogised and re-released?

the problem is that there are too many bands today (and many great bands among them). and it is really hard to check many of them out in their best or most creative time (which is usually during their first 2 albums). you need to live in city with great scene and clubs and go to see gigs very frequently. and also to read obscure fanzines/ezines (not comercial journal {censored} - they usually do not write about real underground), to research on internet, to be part of underground communities ect ect. sometimes it is easier to wait few years and see which bands had great albums, impact ect.

in my case, some of great bands are "discovered" very early but most of them with delay of few years.

• Members

Are they one of those bands that I hate because people tell me I should hate them?

no, they are one of those bands you should hate because they suck. trust me, i saw them 10 times or more, and they always disappointed me. they will go down in Wisconsin rock history next to other shameful bands like "the gufs" and "citizen king".

• Members
Originally posted by idiot savant

no, they are one of those bands you should hate because they suck. trust me, i saw them 10 times or more, and they always disappointed me. they will go down in Wisconsin rock history next to other shameful bands like "the gufs" and "citizen king".

Then I'll hate them because you're telling me to hate them ;)

• Members

90's underground metal lives on in (read: is regurgitated by) today's "mainstream" acts in the genre. During the rare occasions when I watch Headbanger's Ball on MTV2, it seems as though most of the bands are from Tampa, Florida circa 1991. :rolleyes:

• Members

Are they one of those bands that I hate because people tell me I should hate them?

Well, I HATED them for years (I was in Milwaukee, was a musician, and they were the "hipster/scenester" band that a lot of my "hipster" friends would like). I made more jokes about poor Davey (the balding fellow on the far right in the picture) and did bad impressions. They were like the forerunners of emo, along with Sunny Day Real Estate. I couldn't stand them or their fans.

And then they got in an awful accident while on tour. And then Davey got a brain tumor. And then they made one of my favorite powerpop albums of the last few years (Very Emergency). And a lot of their fans then thought it wasn't cool to like them. But I LOVED them for that one album because they finally wrote some great songs and put on fun live shows.

• Members
Originally posted by converge

honestly, please let me hear it.

links, bands, etc.

i dont know what you are into. this comes to my mind...

someone recently mentioned here on this forum
festival of the dead deer - many faces of mental illness (2001). i checked them out. great modern noise-rock album. ok, maybe not very recent (like this year), but still in 00s.

i really like Turing machine's both LPs (Turing Machine and Zwei). very nice post /kraut rock, maybe not so inovative but still great.

neptune - i found only one ep. don't know how to describe it but it is noisy. played on DIY metal instruments :)

sorry, i dont have decent links to this bands.

• Members

God damn. Whoosh and its gone! 90s indie rock, 90s hardcore, "emo"... its gone! Or, its on TV (modest mouse...) Does anybody else not agree?

What the {censored} is taking its place? When I go to "scene" shows now, its crappy "post rock" bands that wish they were ATDI or les savy fav. I cant imagine this is where things are going... its not exactly new.

Am I jaded?

i heard the same general sentiments in the early 90s. kids claimed the popularity of nirvana killed alternative music.

i don't know what "underground" you're referring to but if you're looking to find bands to carry the torch of a style from the 90s, i think you may be disappointed. actually, i would be disappointed if that's all there was.

there's a shizzle-load of interesting stuff out there, it may just not sound like what you expact.

my tips:

timonium

http://pehrlabel.com/timonium/

like low playing MBV

90 day men

http://www.90daymen.com/

fekking wicked mix of SY, chicago art rock and prog. diggit!

mono

http://www.age.fm/~sound/mono/

steve albini produced the last LP. this is post rock, not ATDI.

mount erie/microphones

http://www.southern.com/southern/catalog/MICRP

one-man project, acousticy lo-fi ala elliot smith?

• Members

honestly, please let me hear it.

links, bands, etc.

Errr, Pissed Jeans, Animal Collective, Hand Fed Babies, Gang Gang Dance, A-Frames, Kayo Dot, Growing, Career Suicide, Wolf Eyes, Jesu, Lungfish is still making consistently awesome music like they have been since the early 90s..

• Members

pick up a copy of Arthur mag and you'll learn about a ton of cool underground stuff.

i don't really care about bands rehashing Les Savy Fav or Drive Like Jehu, but new-ish bands like No Neck Blues Band, Circle (outta Finland), Six Organs of Admittance, Acid Mothers Temple, Jack Rose, Lightning Bolt, Big Business, etc. etc. are all making very cool records.

i've also been checking out all the 90's bands that i missed the first time around like the Strapping Fieldhands, Supreme Dicks, Crystallized Movements, Cakekitchen, etc.. there is too much cool stuff out there.

• Members

It's like all underground scenes. Some bands/people become big beyond their scene, but most stay underground and not widely known. Once a given band breaks up (they alwas do...) they become forgotten except by their relatively small cadre of fans. What was "underground" blurred in the post-Nirvana '90s for some.... Anyhoo, that's what makes a given scene relatively special and that's why people should document that stuff.

• Members

i think there a lot of cool bands out there, but with the glut of information and music available via the internet everything just gets lost...think about it - in the '90's there were a few mags (and a million zines) and a few biggish indies (SST, matador, touch and go, etc.) along with a {censored}-ton of tiny labels...well now there are 8 billion music info sites & 8 billion labels, none of which are releasing very consistantly high quality music....
the underground is there...it's just buried a little deeper....to repeat the sentiment...
so what kind of bands are you looking for? heavy? poppy? noisy? ask and you shall receive.

• Members

Originally posted by voerking

i think there a lot of cool bands out there, but with the glut of information and music available via the internet everything just gets lost...think about it - in the '90's there were a few mags (and a million zines) and a few biggish indies (SST, matador, touch and go, etc.) along with a {censored}-ton of tiny labels...well now there are 8 billion music info sites & 8 billion labels, none of which are releasing very consistantly high quality music....

the underground is there...it's just buried a little deeper....to repeat the sentiment...

so what kind of bands are you looking for? heavy? poppy? noisy? ask and you shall receive.

In response to the this question, what I'm looking for I cant even begin to describe. I listen to just about every genre.

Things I really liked from the 90s (or VERY early 00s) in various underground genres (not including metal/grind, that'd be a whole other thread):

Neutral Milk Hotel

Modest Mouse

Blonde Redhead

Kid Kilowatt

Giants Chair

The {censored}ing Champs

Supermachiner

Dinosaur Jr.

Melt Banana

Cave In (jupiter...)

• Members

my non-metal/grind recommendations (i'd jump on that thread, too, though):
deerhoof
usa is a monster
the flying luttenbachers
bobby conn & the glass gypsies
electrelane
big business (ex-karp!)
orthrelm
tornavalanche
sicbay
john weise
lightning bolt
hella
coptic light
...ummm these are just a few of my current listens...sample some tracks online, if you can.

• Members

Originally posted by voerking

my non-metal/grind recommendations (i'd jump on that thread, too, though):

deerhoof

usa is a monster

the flying luttenbachers

bobby conn & the glass gypsies

electrelane

big business (ex-karp!)

orthrelm

tornavalanche

sicbay

john weise

lightning bolt

hella

coptic light

...ummm these are just a few of my current listens...sample some tracks online, if you can.

orthrelm I've heard plenty, because the previous "band" those guys were in was called Crom-tech. Hella I couldn't get into, but I'll give them a 3rd (and final) chance.

I keep seeing lightning bolt mentioned, and I remember listening to them but not enough to have any thoughts. Guess I'll go get some...

And as far as grind and metal, thats covered. I never have trouble finding new and/or old stuff I like.

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

nirvana made everything cool..

people used to hate us messy hair goth kids

then GOTH happned (the real goth, with all the gloom and doom)

hell, i never even read shelley or poe.....

We had 50 Nirvanas in my hometown long before Nirvana became famous. It was called something like "cowpunk" or some {censored} (because the joke is that Columbus is a cowtown- despite being the 15th largest city in the US)

Things used to happen in one place at a time- now it seems that stuff happens everywhere at once and is gone. I blame it on incredibly prevalent mass media.

Archived