WOT: What happened to the underground of the 90s?

converge

• Members

God damn. Whoosh and its gone! 90s indie rock, 90s hardcore, "emo"... its gone! Or, its on TV (modest mouse...) Does anybody else not agree?

What the {censored} is taking its place? When I go to "scene" shows now, its crappy "post rock" bands that wish they were ATDI or les savy fav. I cant imagine this is where things are going... its not exactly new.

Am I jaded?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was never old enough in the 90's to grasp exactly what the scene was like, but I really like a lot of the not so well known bands of the late 80's and early 90's. All of the more underground stuff these days seems to lack personality. This post rock and this stuff that's evolved from indie puts my brain cells to sleep.

Is that an okay answer?

• Members

Originally posted by AF-100

There's a generational missing rung. Most of the 90s underground folks have families now, case in point=Fugazi. Where are the heirs? Who is "getting in the van" in 2005? Lightning Bolt maybe?

I think you've got it.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

The Promise Ring. But that's a later picture when they did their last album with that guy who produced the Cure or something.

Are they one of those bands that I hate because people tell me I should hate them?

Archived