Toadworks Fat City amp is out.

lowroadrevival

• Members

ToadWorksFatCity.jpg

Output Power: 35 Watts

Tubes: GZ34 (Rectifier), 6L6 (Power), 12AT7 (preamp/driver/reverb)

Class: A/B push-pull, cathode bias

Front Panel: Input, Volume, Treble, Midrange, Bass, Reverb, Tone, Power,

Standby, Pilot light

Reverb: 3-spring Deluxe Accutronics

Circuitry: All tube, hand-wired in the U.S.A.

Cabinet: Finger-jointed pine covered in emerald green Tolex

Speaker: 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex hemp cone

Power Requirements: 120 V

Dimensions: 18" (h) x 24" (w) x 9" (d)

Weight: 42 lbs

$1400 direct from toadworks.

Discuss!

There are sound samples on his page.

P.s. Ryan...you still owe me a t-shirt from the "guess the painting contest".:)

• Members

BTW nice new t-shirt design Toadman. I hate those t-shirts which just look like an advertising logo banner for a product.:thu:

I also like the design look of your amp. I think the clips need some more variety in the cleans and OD though with more chord work and gain range for example.

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

BTW nice new t-shirt design Toadman. I hate those t-shirts which just look like an advertising logo banner for a product.
:thu:

I also like the design look of your amp. I think the clips need some more variety in the cleans and OD though with more chord work and gain range for example.

why thank you sir

We actually are in the process of recording more clips, including clips with common effects (like the dreaded Tube Screamer), so people can gauge the tone & response of the amp

A coulpe points that should be made:

1) the handle pictured is NOT the handle it ships with - the production ersion has a regular black strap plastic & metal handle

2) the reverb control has a Tone contrl specifically for the reverb - I cant believe that ALL other amps don't have this.... it's soooooo necessary, it allows you to completely change the nature of the reverb, which make a huge difference in the overal tone.

3) all units will be shipped with the new Electro-Harmonix 6L6 and 12AT7 tubes, which are, in my opinion, the best sounding new tubes, and they are actually pretty inexpensive.

• Members

Originally posted by halcyon360

If you don't mind me asking why 12AT7's? For more clean headroom?

Actually, yes - and I like the sond of 12AT7s, they are smoother sounding, have less overall gain, and have rich, warm harmonics that 12AX7s just dont seem to have.... and frankly that sound lends itself to effects use a little bit better.

You can put 12AX7s in it, of course, but it does change the overall nature of the tone.

• Members

Originally posted by halcyon360

Im gonna have to try that in my amp. Your amp is very beautiful by the way. The clean sound clips sound good too, does it have much headroom?

Quite a bit - it starts to break up around 11-12 o'clock... and that's loud as hell, louder than I would ever use.

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

what guitars is this observation based on? because the stock pups in my PRS Custom 24 will distort any clean channel very easily.

Good point - we used a standard Strat and LP '59. The LP definitely causes the breakup to start sooner, down around 10 o'clock.

It's by no means a high-gain amp though.

• Members

Originally posted by lowroadrevival

Yeah I think it's cool. I don't really neeeed it as I have the 50 watt sunn and 2x12 set-up for that kind of thing, BUT if I had an extra $1400 laying around....

I'd buy one just on principle.

The principle being.... ?

Archived