ot: cat worries

• Members

I have two cats. They're siblings, one male (Preston), one female (Sadie). They're just over 5 months old. I got them spayed/neutered last Thursday. When I got them home, Preston seemed to be back to his good old self, full of piss and vinegar, after about 15 minutes. Sadie seemed quite a bit more shaken up, which in understandable given that spaying is a much more invasive procedure.

But now I'm getting a little concerned. It's five days later and Sadie still seems a bit listless. She's still affectionate, but not playful at all. She's not eating much from what I can see and she seems to have lost some weight. Her surgical wound does seem to be healing okay.

How worried should I be? I was thinking maybe I'd feed her some wet food in hopes it would encourage her to eat more. I have to take her back to the vet next week to get her stitches out, but I'm temped to have them check up on her before then. It would be devastating if something happened to her, she's such a sweet little cat.

Also, I was giving Preston his antibiotic this morning with a dropper, and one of his teeth came out! Cats don't have baby teeth, do they?

:( worried parent, please advise and comfort.

• Members

Call your vet--while there may be nothing wrong, it can be bad for a cat's health to go without eating for that long.

And yes, they do have baby teeth, which are always fun to step on barefoot when you get out of the bed first thing in the morning.

• Members

YES! Call the vet! I just lost my cat a week ago today. It's been really hard this past week and I've been so depressed. Looking back over the last few months, there were signs that I wish I had paid closer attention to. Back in July, she started throwing up a lot and then stopped eating altogether. She lost a lot of weight. I finally called the vet. They didn't find anything at the time, so we switched her to wet food and she started eating again. I should have paid closer attention after that, but I figured problem solved. She never did gain the weight back, and to make a long story short, it turns out she had Cancer.

Anyway, I hope your cat's okay. But it can't hurt to call the vet and make sure.

• Members

call the vet, if never hurts to be too careful with post op cats or dogs. So many things can go wrong that we would never really see. I know it was very tramatic to me to have my little girl spayed, I can just imagine what the little girl kitty is feeling so give that vet a call :thu:

• Members

Damn Tom that sucks, sorry to hear about that.

My cat (female) was definately shaken up for several days after she was spayed, but I'm pretty sure she started eating within 5 days. Wet food may be all she needs, I know mine tries to hold out for wet food all the time.

Hopefully yours is just a little depressed from her ordeal and will get over it soon.

• Members

Originally posted by bucket_brigadier

She is eating, just not that much from what I've seen.

That's what I was thinking too. She would nibble here and there. Sometimes she would just put her face in the food and move it around with her nose so it looked like she ate something. This had been going on for a while and I was just in denial.

Not to put a panic in you - I'm sure Sadie will be fine, but I'd get her checked out ASAP.

• Members
Originally posted by Non-Digital Tom

No, I think it was Blue Falcon
:thu:

ah yes, pre lou.

so i brought home some wet food, and i wouldn't say sadie devoured it, but she was definitely anxious to dig in. she also seems more up and about today. she's getting down the stairs more easily. still won't chase toys around. i'm gonna keep an eye on her for a couple more days, and i'll take her to the vet thursday if i don't see marked improvement.

Archived