Catalinbread Semaphore Review

Elliott Damage

• Members

I think I'll do a quick review of my semaphore while we're at it. I've had it since it came out, so I've had a bit of time with it. To me, it sounds exactly like a trem should. There is no noise that a lot of trems have. Or at least it's quiet enough that I can't hear it under my humbuckers. All of the knobs have PLENTY of range. Volume has cut to boost. Depth has signal/no signal to just signal. Rate goes from plenty slow to so fast that the effect is inaudible. Shape controls ramping and stuff.

I really like having full depth, square shape, and fast rate. It can sound like a ring mod. And subtle warbles sound really nice too. There are plenty of settings to find, and the semaphore should be able to get most of the sounds in your head.

I have two minor problems with it. One is that the knobs are very difficult to turn with my toes. I need to bend down and use my fingers because it's so small. The other problem is that it doesn't have quite enough headroom for my effects loop. My clean sound gets slightly overdriven when I turn the semaphore on. This is one of the reasons I wanted a Pentavocal Trem with its 18 volt operation (it's 9 volts but operates at 18 or something like that), but it sounds like it's not versatile enough for me to care.

No expression pedal is kind of dissappointing, but I don't think it bothers me as much as it might bother others.

Overall I'm very satisfied. It's not my ideal trem, but I don't think there's a trem on the market that can do better for me.

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

The other problem is that it doesn't have quite enough headroom for my effects loop. My clean sound gets slightly overdriven when I turn the semaphore on. This is one of the reasons I wanted a Pentavocal Trem with its 18 volt operation (it's 9 volts but operates at 18 or something like that), but it sounds like it's not versatile enough for me to care.

Hey have you adjusted the internal gain trimpot at all? Should drag you from crystal clean to dirty.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

quick question. when did the semaphore stop coming with a seperate Teaser Stallion out?

After about 30 of them. I found it to be too redundant, bulky inside, and just overkill. The ones after that have an internal switch to do what the TS out was intended to do. After answering a billion setup questions I decided to simplify the matter. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

After about 30 of them. I found it to be too redundant, bulky inside, and just overkill. The ones after that have an internal switch to do what the TS out was intended to do. After answering a billion setup questions I decided to simplify the matter.
:idea:

yeah i figured it made life easy on you. :thu:

Archived