We never talk about the 13th Floor Elevators

elctmist

• Members

Or Roky Ericsson for that matter. Or hardly ever anyway.

Why is that? They had some great songs (all of the first two albums, plus a good number from the last two), a great singer, a great sound and they influenced a good number of peeps that are well regarded on this board from ZZ Top, to Tom Verlaine, to the Jesus and Mary Chain, and Kramer.

If I need to drag it on topic they laid on the trem and fuzz nice and thick and recorded a number of tunes with over-the-top tape echo front and center.

And they had an electric jug player fer chrissakes.

• Members
Originally posted by elctmist

Or Roky Ericsson for that matter. Or hardly ever anyway.

Why is that? They had some great songs (all of the first two albums, plus a good number from the last two), a great singer, a great sound and they influenced a good number of peeps that are well regarded on this board from ZZ Top, to Tom Verlaine, to the Jesus and Mary Chain, and Kramer.

If I need to drag it on topic they laid on the trem and fuzz nice and thick and recorded a number of tunes with over-the-top tape echo front and center.

And they had an electric jug player fer chrissakes.

Good call......ACE BAND!
:thu:

• Members

I bought one of their albums by mistake because I saw the trippy cover, and one of the tracks was 'Rollercoaster' and I assumed it was that funk song by the Ohio Players (didn't know at the time)

That jug thing was on every song and it annoyed the hell out of me. I do not like them.

• Members

Awesome :thu:

There's a crazy vibrato sound on the intro to Reverberation that's one of my favourite effects moments in music. I think it's an old Magnatone amp, or at least that's what I heard.

Really cool psychedelic sounds maaaaaaan. Check out Primal Scream's cover of "Step Inside This House" on Screamadelica.

• Members
Originally posted by english_bob

Awesome
:thu:

There's a crazy vibrato sound on the intro to Reverberation that's one of my favourite effects moments in music. I think it's an old Magnatone amp, or at least that's what I heard.

Sounds more like an Ampeg to me.

• Members

A lot of the crazy vibrato-y stuff that sounds like heavily effected guitar is Tom Hall's "electric jug." He was a lot more responsible for the group sound than a lot of people realize...

I studied tuba with Roky's little brother at Carnegie Mellon, and got to hang out with Roky a couple times a few years ago. Good news is Roky is doing great and performing again -- he just did a radio broadcast last night, but I missed it.

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

DJ -- you check out the Roky box set that came out recently? i'm not a big enough fan of his post-13FE stuff to own it, but i bet it's some good {censored}.

Your instincts are right, but someone could compile a great compilation from that stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I studied tuba with Roky's little brother at Carnegie Mellon, and got to hang out with Roky a couple times a few years ago. Good news is Roky is doing great and performing again -- he just did a radio broadcast last night, but I missed it.

that's awesome! is this the same brother who set up the trust for Roky and was caring for him?

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

that's awesome! is this the same brother who set up the trust for Roky and was caring for him?

Yup. Sumner. Ex-Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Another brilliant Erickson -- he dropped out of his freshman year at Curtis Institute of Music because he won the PSO audition at 19 years old. Freaked out all the tuba players at the time.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Yup. Sumner. Ex-Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Another brilliant Erickson -- he dropped out of his freshman year at Curtis Institute of Music because he won the PSO audition at 19 years old. Freaked out all the tuba players at the time.

that's a good dude, man. very cool.

Archived