Best cable to get at Guitar Center?

Lefty Geek

• Members

Originally posted by Onswah

I like the Proco's myself, although not all Guitar Centers ahve them in stock.

I actually have some 20 year old Proco's that JUST started getting flakey. That's not bad for a cable. (Not constant use for 20 years, though, there was that "acoustic" period - forgive me.)

• Members

Just got back from GC. All they had were Mogami Gold, Monster, Planet Waves, and LiveWire. I was willing to pay the premium for Mogami Gold, but the shortest cable they had was 18 feet. Way too big.

Heading off to 48th St after work and check out Sam Ash/Mannys.

• Members

Originally posted by TigerInATrance

Go with the Monster... They are better than the Mogami and they've got a lifetime warrantee that lets you return them for anything at GC and get a new free cable

And with the solder joint they use, you will be returning/exchanging them...

Michael

• Members

So I just called my local indie store to see what they have. My options are CBI or Road Hog. They also carry Bullet and Rapco, but are sold out of both.

Once again, looking for a simple 10-12' foot cable for gigging. High (read: expensive) quality not required, just durability.

• Members

Originally posted by Lefty Geek

So I just called my local indie store to see what they have. My options are CBI or Road Hog. They also carry Bullet and Rapco, but are sold out of both.

Once again, looking for a simple 10-12' foot cable for gigging. High (read: expensive) quality not required, just durability.

I have many broken cables. I have no broken Road Hogs.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I have many broken cables. I have no broken Road Hogs.

I'm confused. The guy on the phone (over at Main Drag) said they had Road Hog cables, but are sold out of Road Hogs. Aren't they the same cable?

http://www.rapco.com/catalog/roadhog.htm

Are they expensive? I really don't want to go to Sam Ash.

• Members

I'm confused. The guy on the phone (over at Main Drag) said they had Road Hog cables, but are sold out of Road Hogs. Aren't they the same cable?

Are they expensive? I really don't want to go to Sam Ash.

Road Hogs are the thick black rubber cables made by RapCo. I got all of mine from Main Drag. I don't like the CBIs they stock there. They also stock RapCo vintage, in tweed jackets. I have one of those, but it's getting tired after a few years of hard gigging.

Not expensive. I can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much. Under $20 for sure.

• Members

I just replaced a 12' (or 10', whatever it is) Monster rock cable after 10 years of moderate gigging. I don't live near a GC anymore, so I had to spend the $3 to ship it directly to Monster, and I got the replacement about a week later. Good customer service, IMO. We'll see how the new one lasts...

• Members

Thanks ginnboonmiller, I'm off to Main Drag after work tonight. Haven't been to their new store yet.

Thanks again ginboonmiller, I got my cable last night. The new Main Drag is much bigger, but a bit sterile. Hopefully they will rework the space. They gave me a good deal on the Road Hogs. Got the one I need for my gig tonight, and I will go back next week when they hopefully will have some cables with right-angle connectors in stock.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I use Monster or Planet waves. I prefer the Monster. I doesn't tangle up like other cables and It could be my ears, but damn, they just sound good. And I've been stepping on them, tripping over them, dropping stuff on them, etc.... and they haven't crapped out yet. It's been a few years now. I bought planet waves purely because of their mention on the board but recently went back to monsters.

Archived