My Night With The Flanger Hoax

elctmist

• Members

Okay, okay, it was more like 30 mins but I pretty sure this is my next effects pedal.

They should have called it something different, it can do flanging sounds but it isn't tasteful like the TZF, it's like an old-style EH noisy freak box.

Some settings have hiss, some have volume drop, but you can figure it out with some tweaking, and some are so bangingly loud they threaten to take out the speaker. If you want twisted, lopsided vibrato, squitters, blips, {censored}ed-up envelope stuff, and spirals that have nothing to do with the note you just played, this for you.

In other words, if you're into Eric Johnson-style tasty tone don't bother. But if you like Chrome, Can, Adrian Belew, Brian Eno, or Robert Quine, you should give the Hoax a try, it's got some ear-popping sounds in there.

• Members

weren't you dumping on the hoax in another thread about the volume drop and noise? all the hoax needs is a little time, i don't think all the other nay sayers gave it enough twiddling.

oh yeah heres your "dumb" quote: "Hmmm, huge, noisy and doesn't make sounds like a normal flanger. Sounds like my kinda pedal."-electmist

• Members

Originally posted by spaceshot

weren't you dumping on the hoax in another thread about the volume drop and noise? all the hoax needs is a little time, i don't think all the other nay sayers gave it enough twiddling.

oh yeah heres your "dumb" quote: "Hmmm, huge, noisy and doesn't make sounds like a normal flanger. Sounds like my kinda pedal."-electmist

Yeah, I hadn't tried one at that point, was pretty sure I'd dig it from the modezero review. I definitely don't think it's for everyone, better to get a RI MXR or TZF if you want classic flanging IMO. But if you want a sound that hasn't been done before the Hoax seems like the way to go.

Archived