Fuzz pedal questions

riffdaddy

• Members

I'm still looking for the perfect fuzz. The Coconut is still tempting me quite a bit, and I may end up going that route. However, I've also got a few other thoughts in mind, so please help a playa play.

1. I like a fuzz with a lot of sustain and a very dark sound. I also kind of want that squeezy, squelchy sound at the beginning of every note. What pedal do I want?

2. I have a line on a Frantone Sweet for a good price. It doesn't do as much of the squeezy/squelchy thing as I'd like, and the tone is a little bright, but the sustain is insane. Does anybody mod these for a darker sound and more squeeze/squelch?

3. I'm an ElectroHarmonix dealer, so I can get a Russian Big Muff at an absolutely stupid price. I like the tone, and the sustain is adequate. Should I just go this route instead?

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

I'm still looking for the perfect fuzz. The Coconut is still tempting me quite a bit, and I may end up going that route. However, I've also got a few other thoughts in mind, so please help a playa play.

1. I like a fuzz with a lot of sustain and a very dark sound. I also kind of want that squeezy, squelchy sound at the beginning of every note. What pedal do I want?

2. I have a line on a Frantone Sweet for a good price. It doesn't do as much of the squeezy/squelchy thing as I'd like, and the tone is a little bright, but the sustain is insane. Does anybody mod these for a darker sound and more squeeze/squelch?

3. I'm an ElectroHarmonix dealer, so I can get a Russian Big Muff at an absolutely stupid price. I like the tone, and the sustain is adequate. Should I just go this route instead?

I've never been a fuzz guy (although that is changing right now...), but one thing I do know is that the Russian Big Muff will kill your attack more than give it character. But if you're a dealer, you'll only be spending what, thirty-five cents? Get one.

And I'm mightily impressed by Devi's Torns Peaker.

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

sig

I love the sound of your stuff, and I'm sure I'll eventually buy two or three of them. Right now I need a pedal that sounds a little smoother, however. If you build something else that isn't featured on the website that might suit my needs, I'd love to hear it.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I've never been a fuzz guy (although that is changing right now...), but one thing I do know is that the Russian Big Muff will kill your attack more than give it character. But if you're a dealer, you'll only be spending what, thirty-five cents? Get one.

And I'm mightily impressed by Devi's Torns Peaker.

I know, the Muff just sort of squashes the attack. If it would do what I want it to on the front end of the note, I'd go that route.

I need to try putting a compressor in front of it.

• Members
Originally posted by duderanimous

Ok... my sig, too
:D

The addition of the bias knob opens up a whole lot of territory in this pedal... go from boost, to overdrive, to distortion, to full on fuzz. It can be set to be responsive to your picking dynamics, or compressed and, well, squelchy.

First linky no worky. :(

• Members

Originally posted by doug deeper

fuzz factory into an sd-1...

for real!

I'm getting a fuzz probe just for the noise factor. I'd hate to be seen with an SD-1 on my board, however...

I'm gonna mosey over to the Z-Vex site and listen to some clips.

Archived