Where do you stand on flanging?

Fourth Floor

• Members

Just broke out my old FL9 flanger after a long period of neglect. And I'm pulling some cool sounds out of it. Problem is, I can't help but think it's just a little cheesy.

I'm positive the TZF is an amazing pedal that can do a lot of stuff and exists outside the relam of normal flangers but in general is flanging just old?

Or is flanging ready for a big comeback? I reckon I could do a few tunes without it sounding like early Cure or the new wave knockoffs going around at the moment.

Time to take sides. Where do you stand on flanging?

• Members

i don't think any effect has an absolute use by date. however, some effects, like chorus and flanging are beyond their indiscriminate use by date.

flanging aplied to a full mix for a short time can still work and flanging as a stand out effect in a bridge or something like that might also work, but not enough to carry a bad musical idea. it helps if you get away from the obvious twisted metal tube sound most pedal flangers give you.

i don't think flanging applied to anotherwise dull chugging rythmn or arpeggio is enough to impress the punters these days.

• Members

Got an original A/DA earlier this year and it does everything I 'd like a flanger to do but couldn't find before in other models.

My stand is I don't use them much, but when I do I want it to sound like real 60's tape flanging, which the A/DA does to me.

• Members

Flanging is way cool, and I want to be the only one who uses flange any more.

Between an A/DA and a TZF, I personally say the A/DA hands down. Mine got stolen, so I'm using the BF-2 and Hoax lately, but I've also been playing with my giant metal Morley Flanger/Chorus from the 70s (great flanger, but sucks the crap out of tone with an annoying volume drop). I'm still waiting for a better flanger that can do the A/DA but in stereo, and has some features from the Lovetone.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Whoa! You're a flange junky.

You ain't seen nothing yet. :cool:

I got:

Ibanez FL9

Ibanez SF10 Swell Flanger

Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger

DOD 670 Flanger

MXR Micro Flanger

MXR Flanger

of these, I like the 2 MXR's the most, for the classic jet-flange sound. the FL9 is very subtle, and does a great chorus sound too.

The SF10 is more 'there', but still no MXR.

• Members

I hate the jetplane whooshing thing, and the "twisted metal tube" sound Fern talked about- both seem really dated and weren't such great ideas in the first place.

I have a DOD flanger I bought cheap. It's set quite subtly (the pedal is quite subtle generally and doesn't seem keen to do the cheesy plane sounds)- it sounds more like a doubling effect or a slight, warbly chorus- more late Hendrix, Wall-era Gilmour or Andy Summers than nasty 80s hair metal.

• Members

I got nothing against flange...but what usualy happens is, I plug into a flanger...get some of the usual sounds...then I think "cool"

then I realise that I cannot fit it into any of my music

then I play a bit more and feel like when it's on, I don't really get inspired.

then I put it back into the box

for another god knows how long.

the only flange I got left right now is the one on my zoom 3030...

• Members

Originally posted by zhivago

I got nothing against flange...but what usualy happens is, I plug into a flanger...get some of the usual sounds...then I think "cool"

then I realise that I cannot fit it into any of my music

then I play a bit more and feel like when it's on, I don't really get inspired.

then I put it back into the box

for another god knows how long.

the only flange I got left right now is the one on my zoom 3030...

thats all they are good for- sitting in their pretty little box..

• Members

I also find flanging to be difficult to use(aside from the rare nuclear-jet-propelled-monkey-navigated-across the alcali flats..,,well you get the picture).

I don't think it's outdated 'cause no effect can be. I guess it's a matter of taste

Archived