another beer thread...really need some input

Huckleberry

• Members

Not only is it Friday, but it's also payday... I want to try some German beer that I can get at any liquor store. I have no idea where to begin. Help?

And for what it's worth, I like almost every beer I've ever tried....about the only two I can't stand are Heinekin (oh my gosh that was disgusting) and MGD. And my favorite is by far Guiness on draft. Also really enjoy Bud and Bud Select....they're cheap and good for hot days (I, unfortunately, live in Texas for the time being.)

• Members

Just this hangup I have. For some reason I've been obsessed with all things German for the last several months. Even just enrolled in a German class at the local college for the spring so I can start to learn the language... So I really do want to try some German brew. I think I'll also be trying some of that Bass ale stuff?

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Lots of British folks that I know are always going on about that stuff. Is it pretty good?

I never liked it myself. Kinda bland, and better alternatives for me are Pilsner Urquell or Rolling Rock (serious!). But lots of folks rave.

Huck, if you can get Jever, do it in an instant. Great stuff. Paulaner is a little easier to find in bottles in the states and awfully good, too.

• Members

Stella is heavy, sweet, bland bilge. It is known as "wifebeater" here.

Jever is the daddy but it's not for the uninitiated.. very dry and hoppy. I love it though. Little-known fact- it used to be (might even still be?) a certain UK supermarket's own brand pils! One of the cheapest lagers in the shop was the best by far!

Spaten isn't too hard to find in the southern states, no?

I have a case of Wernesgruner in the fridge.

• Members

German beers should be cold. That's one nice thing about German stuff -- it's easy to figure out. The Brits have this crazy system about how cold your beer should be, depending on what kind of beer it is. Technically, 40 degrees Fahrenheit is good for all German style brews.

(but whatever. We're in America, dammit!)

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Its to bad you can't get Budvar (aka Czechvar) too easily over here, apparently Budwieser ain't too keen on the original coming to town.

That's the beer equivalent of Zeppelin opening for Winger.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Ah, Old Style and McRibs! Want some Easy Cheese on that?

:D

Mark Grace drinks Old Style! (This picture is one of my favorite modern baseball images...). My wife used to be the gofer for the Sun-Times photographers at sporting events when her dad was the photo editor for the paper. So she got to see him at postgame press conferences (she also had a HUGE teenage crush on him...and still does...). She said he'd open an Old Style and a pack of Marlboro Reds. Now THAT is my kind of pro athlete!!! None of this steroids {censored} for me, I say!!!

wbase5.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by AF-100

That's the beer equivalent of Zeppelin opening for Winger.

:D

Can't agree on the Stella though, bottled or draught is very nice, especially if the alternatives are either Carling or Tennents. :freak:

I DO kinda feel like beating someone up though. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Huckleberry

Not only is it Friday, but it's also payday... I want to try some German beer that I can get at any liquor store. I have no idea where to begin. Help?

And for what it's worth, I like almost every beer I've ever tried....about the only two I can't stand are Heinekin (oh my gosh that was disgusting) and MGD. And my favorite is by far Guiness on draft. Also really enjoy Bud and Bud Select....they're cheap and good for hot days (I, unfortunately, live in Texas for the time being.)

German Pils (me likey):

1. Jever

2. Spaten

3. Wartsteiner

There's a bunch of other good ones, these came to mind quickly.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

The Brits have this crazy system about how cold your beer should be, depending on what kind of beer it is. Technically, 40 degrees Fahrenheit is good for all German style brews.

i've been there several times and have never seen this. where does this happen?

Archived