gt-8 wah sound - help!

dissinagrace

• Members

hey all

i've been using the boss gt series multi-effects pedals for years, and never had a problem with it, until i got my new gt-8 a few months ago. the wah sounds are horrible! do any other gt-8 users notice that the cry modeler doesn't sound like a crybaby at all? i have a real crybaby and the gt-8's wah sounds are borderline embarassing. everything else on the gt-8 is kick ass amazing, but the wah sound is just terrible. it's ALL trebel, no bass. literaly, it's like an ear-piercing shriek of {censored}-wah tone. has anybody ever had this problem with the gt-8 and know of any solutions as to how i could obtain a good sound from the wah effect in it?

thanks!

• Members

Have you tried creating a Custom Wah starting with the Crybaby sound and adjusting the Q (the frequency center) the high range and low range and the presence (which you can use to reduce the ultra high end)?

Try Page 66 of the GT-8 manual for details...

Also, you normally use a WAH before your amp- so make sure you have it placed as such in the chain- if you are using your own amp, you might want to consider placing the wah before the loop and putting your amp in the loop per the "4 cable method"

• Members

that's what i was thinking about doing!

but this is the kicker.

here's how i do it now. i run a laboga studio reverb head (www.labogaamps.com - not yet available in america, i just happen to have one :). i plug my guitar into the head, take the effects loop SEND out of the head, into the input of the GT-8, then run the output of that back into the RETURN of the head. so i'm basically processing the head's tone.

i have a crybaby wah and i plugged that into my head from the guitar and it sounded bad as {censored}, so i thought well what if i could plug my guitar into the processor, then take that out to the head, then take the head's fx loop back into the gt-8 somehow. is that impossible?

what's the 4 cable method? i'm an effects nut, i love to hear anything about effects!

• Members

Originally posted by dissinagrace

but this is the kicker.

here's how i do it now. i run a laboga studio reverb head (
www.labogaamps.com
- not yet available in america, i just happen to have one
:)
. i plug my guitar into the head, take the effects loop SEND out of the head, into the input of the GT-8, then run the output of that back into the RETURN of the head. so i'm basically processing the head's tone.

i have a crybaby wah and i plugged that into my head from the guitar and it sounded bad as {censored}, so i thought well what if i could plug my guitar into the processor, then take that out to the head, then take the head's fx loop back into the gt-8 somehow. is that impossible?

what's the 4 cable method? i'm an effects nut, i love to hear anything about effects!

Never gonna work....

4 cable method: www.bossgtcentral.com

This will get you where you wanna go......No Wah will sound anything other than crappy in the effects loop.....

Short version:

Guitar into GT8

GT8 Effects send to Amp Input

Amp send to GT8 effects return

GT8 Output to amp effects return

Place wah before effects loop

• Members

Originally posted by dissinagrace

but this is the kicker.

here's how i do it now. i run a laboga studio reverb head (
www.labogaamps.com
- not yet available in america, i just happen to have one
:)
. i plug my guitar into the head, take the effects loop SEND out of the head, into the input of the GT-8, then run the output of that back into the RETURN of the head. so i'm basically processing the head's tone.

Plug into the GT-8.

Set the FX chain so that your OD/Distortion, Compressor, and Wah are before the FX loop of the GT-8.

Send from the FX loop of the GT-8 to the input of your head.

Send from the fx send of your head back to the GT-8-

Now your head is in the GT-8 loop, you will still have to make adjustments with tone and levels, EQ, etc. to get the best sound.

Send from the output of the GT-8 to the fx return of the head.

Now you have placed the compressor, Overdrive and Wah before your amp (like you would with plain old pedals) and placed the chorus, delay, reverb, etc in the FX loop of your amp. You will probably want to turn the amp modeling and speaker modeling in the GT-8 OFF to get the true tone of your amp.

Also, if your amp has a regular channel switching switch, a cable can be used to patch to the GT-8 amp ctrl jack. The GT-8 will switch your amp channels for you and save that setting in the patch.

Read the manual if you haven't done so.

• Members

Well, I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, but I do know that it sounds remarkably close. My dad and I swap gear all the time, and he's used the Cry-Baby for years and he heard me with the GT-8 after the 4-cable method and he was like "Were you using the Cry-Baby?"

It even inspired me to get rid of my external effects. I was getting real tired of having to set up four pedals all the time at every show. I was literaly taking an hour before the show even started to set up my gear and have it ready for a 10 minute set change. Rediculous! But I've used a GT-X all my guitar playin life. The first show I ever played out with guitar I had a GT-3, and up till this summer I've had that very same GT-3. Not it's GT-8 all the way. I didn't even know it could sound this good.

And I even thought about plugging my amp into the loop of the GT-8 but I didn't know how I'd go about doing it. But you guys came to the rescue.

Thank you so much!

Archived