Making a marshall guv'nor... opinions on this op amp and stuff

sumasmreq

• Members

so I am going to make a guv'nor. I am using my russian big muff casing and parts for it, and I was thinking about using a different op amp in place of the TL072.

Particularly, the analog ad8620. Supposedly it has better bass, a better sound and should work great with a 9V battery, I don't know if anyone on here has experience with op amps or anything.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Also I was thinking about adding an extra switch to it, and making it to where you could add a Germanium diode in series with an LED for assymetrical distortion, what do you guys think?

• Members

Originally posted by sumasmreq

so I am going to make a guv'nor. I am using my russian big muff casing and parts for it, and I was thinking about using a different op amp in place of the TL072.

Particularly, the analog ad8620. Supposedly it has better bass, a better sound and should work great with a 9V battery, I don't know if anyone on here has experience with op amps or anything.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Also I was thinking about adding an extra switch to it, and making it to where you could add a Germanium diode in series with an LED for assymetrical distortion, what do you guys think?

That sounds really cool. I'd try using a TL082. It's a mosfet op-amp and should give you a more tube like sound and better bass responce. I've not used the ad8620. Let me know how it sounds.

• Members

You are lucky that there are lots of dual op-amps to choose from to try out in your pedal.

I got some Burr-Brown samples from Texas Instruments a while back (OPA2134PA and OPA2604AP) that should work well in a similar situation. Give their website a look and see if you can order some free samples.

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

You are lucky that there are lots of dual op-amps to choose from to try out in your pedal.

I got some Burr-Brown samples from Texas Instruments a while back (OPA2134PA and OPA2604AP) that should work well in a similar situation. Give their website a look and see if you can order some free samples.

Yeah I was thinking about the opa2132 I think, I just scored two of the ad8620s off ebay for 13 bucks. Either way, a 5 dollar op amp has to be better than .72 cent one. I googled audio op amps and found a website that had a review on a TON of op amps, and said that the ad8620 was his prefference on the best op amp run on a 9v battery.

If this works out awesome, I might start making some of these to sell. Right now I am enrolled in a physics/electronics class and I hace a ton of parts fairly readily available (particularly 1/4w 1% resistors) and a good amount of caps, so that helps out, as well as oscilloscopes, DMMs, and most anything I should need, except PCB materials. This is going to be my first PCB I have ever made when I make this.

Archived