Crybaby Wahs: How Do You Turn the Pots?

IAmAScientist

• Members

In some of the HC reviews of crybaby 535's, guys were talking about how the tone sounded flat and how they "turned the pots" to improve the tone. Here's a quote, "pots were scratchy, cleaned them it was ok, couldn't get a good sound though, was all bull{censored} every selection on the dial, the highest treble[counter-clockwise] had the best sound. And it was not all that! I took it apart one more time. This time I rotated the pot counter-clockwise. Sounded better, Took the back off, left it off and hooked up the pedal, rotated the pot a little more. Did this a couple times till I was happy with the tone! Now when you push down with your toe the thing really makes the note your playing scream. Still sounds best at that one setting. But thats probly because thats the setting I adjusted the pot too! I believe the guy before me traded this in cause the pot Turned on him from use!"

Any idea what he's talking about? What is he turning?

• Members
Originally posted by Jebus0000

your a sciencist and you can't figure this out?
:p

If you rotate the wah pot inside then when you move the pedal up and down it will be using a slightly different range of the pot hence giving you a slightly different tone.

+1
That's what I was thinking.

• Members

in the 95 crybabys it was a little screw holding a white plastic "stop-button" - just loosen the holding screw and pay attention which way you rotate the pot - bass side for less high end and treble side for more high end -

ive found that simply moving the pot 2-3 "clicks" is usually plenty of an adjustment. then tighten that screw holding the stopper

• Members

I'll look at it when I get back from work. My dad had this pedal sitting around, so I borrowed it from him and I want it to sound the absolute best. I don't know much of anything about adjusting pots, but I figured you HC folks were the perfect group to ask. Anybody know anything about the mods you can get for Crybabys?

• Members

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

I'll look at it when I get back from work. My dad had this pedal sitting around, so I borrowed it from him and I want it to sound the absolute best. I don't know much of anything about adjusting pots, but I figured you HC folks were the perfect group to ask. Anybody know anything about the mods you can get for Crybabys?

you could install a fasel inductor. those are pretty hot.

Archived