WOT: Tattoo questions.

ginnboonmiller

• Members

So I got this idea a few months ago and it's stuck with me... I haven't mentioned it here before, but I am in the waning weeks of the worst year of my life. Insane amounts of misfortune. And I have decided to mark the end of it all with my first tattoo.

The positive stuff around this period has pretty much all been about guitars and old jazz records, so I want to get an art deco-y vaccuum tube put on my left shoulder. The closest thing I've found to what I want is this here logo, but without the words or notes:

header.gif

So, assuming that I'll be going to the best, most reputable tattoo artist that can do custom art deco looking stuff, (a) how much do you think I should save up, and (b) any idea who the artist should be?

Also, if you think it's a terrible idea, tell me and tell me why.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by yaz75

First, how big is the design? Secondly where do you want to get it?

I'm thinking left shoulder/upper arm -- big enough to be obvious, small enough to be hidden at day jobs... maybe four inches high or so... And probably a custom job from scratch, since I haven't really seen what I've got in my head, and I'm not too good with the drawing stuff. Just black, though, which I hear is cheaper in addition to being what I want.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I'm thinking left shoulder/upper arm -- big enough to be obvious, small enough to be hidden at day jobs... maybe four inches high or so... And probably a custom job from scratch, since I haven't really seen what I've got in my head, and I'm not too good with the drawing stuff. Just black, though, which I hear is cheaper in addition to being what I want.

Well you don't really need to draw it at all. Just print out the graphic that you posted here and make it the size that you want. They make a transfer and stick it to your skin like the old water tattoos that you used as a kid. Single color will save you money. As long as the artist is good, they can follow any pattern which you provide. I don't see why that should take more than an hour. I have a tat on each shoulder and my left one is about the size you are saying AND it's 2 color and it took about an hour.

• Members

Originally posted by voerking

somewhere in the $200 range, i'm guessing. every tattoo dude is different.

go to brad fink. he co-owns fun city tattoo, and daredevil - both in NYC.

his rate is $150 an hour.

also, always tip.

DAMN you guys are expensive in NYC!

• Members

I was going to get Che Guevara, what with me being a loony lefty. I went on holiday, come back, and my mate had it. He didn't even know who Che was, he just liked the picture. Nice one.

So know I think I'm going to get a hammer and sickle.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

That's not even a week's rent in a tiny apartment...

Thanks all for the advice. It's all going into the mental notebook.

Trust me, I'm an East Coaster as well but NYC seems to add the extra '{censored} you' price bump to just about everything. My 2 color tat was $100.

• Members

A quick google has revealed to me that Brad Fink is a freaking world-class super tattooist. Gorgeous stuff.

http://daredeviltattoo.com

Click the little devil bird on the popup to see his stuff. Frankly, what I want is too simple for an artist like that. I bet I can find someone cheaper and still feel safe with the guy.

I am defintely paranoid about getting someone really good to mark up my body, and happy to spend the big bucks, but Fink might be slight overkill.

• Members

You should get a tattoo that looks like a tuba around your arm, with the bell facing toward your hand, and then like... note flying out all down your forearm and across the top of your hand, so that when you make a fist it looks like they're rippling.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

You should get a tattoo that looks like a tuba around your arm, with the bell facing toward your hand, and then like... note flying out all down your forearm and across the top of your hand, so that when you make a fist it looks like they're rippling.

Before the vacuum tube idea, it was gonna be either that, or a tattoo on my butt, of a butt. With a butt tattoo.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Nah, he should get a medieval sorcerer, on his arm.

• Members

I would recommend a woman here in Columbus who did a couple of mine, but that doesn't help you any.

I like your design idea. One thing I've learned, at least in my own experience, is that no matter how much a design seems appropriate for my lifetime and unlikely to ever represent anything I'd grow out of or change my views on...I'll get tired of it eventually, or wish it were different. But I've learned to accept that, and see the designs as representative of what was important to me at a given time, rather than for eternity.

• Members

You know Moby's arm tattoos? Looks like his wrists are on fire or something.

What if you got a penis tattoo like that? Wouldn't that be frickin' sweet?

... *time passes* ....

So anyways, you guys ever see that show on A&E called "Inked"? It's a reality show about a tattoo parlor.

I've only watched it a couple of times, but one of the episodes, this dude came in and wanted a shamrock tattooed on his diinkertip.

Not only did he have the balls to ask for that tattoo, he wanted to haggle. I think they wanted $400 to do it, he was pissed because a silver-dollar sized tattoo was normally like $150, so he kept arguing about it. Eventually he gave up and left.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I would recommend a woman here in Columbus who did a couple of mine, but that doesn't help you any.

I like your design idea. One thing I've learned, at least in my own experience, is that no matter how much a design seems appropriate for my lifetime and unlikely to ever represent anything I'd grow out of or change my views on...I'll get tired of it eventually, or wish it were different. But I've learned to accept that, and see the designs as representative of what was important to me at a given time, rather than for eternity.

I agree to an extent, but I did think about 'if someone sees this when I'm 60, will I look like a douche for having it?' I think that GBM's idea will not bring embarassment later in life. I know a guy who has a spider web on his neck and I'm thinking he'd better die young or work in a tat shop because he's going to look ridiculous later in life.

Archived