DIY show scene guys... gigging a deluxe reverb?

converge

• Members

For the guys playing little DIY shows (and loud...), would a deluxe reverb be able to put out and actually stay clean? I'm getting ready to start gigging my math/indie/whateverthe{censored} band, but I want a dedicated clean amp and I could probably just build a BF deluxe reverb cheaply (as opposed to buying a {censored}ty reissue).

I need CLEAN though... not dirty. If this thing cant do LOUD CLEAN, I'll have to go with something with more power. I'd probably be mating it with a traynor YBA-1 50watt for my crunch.

• Members
Originally posted by Mr. Twang

A DRRI is going to break up before long. If you want a really loud clean, why not get a Twin? Or even a HRD will stay totally clean at insane volumes.

I had my heart on a BF DR clone because one of my favorite tones live and recorded is Bill Frisell playing a tele into one. Its just delicious. Round, beautiful clean. I'd hate to have to build TWO blackface amps... :freak::D

• Members

Proud owner of a DRRI here...

When I gig, I usually use it as a moniter and mic it up. I keep the Volume on right below 2, the amp roughly 4-5 ft away, tilted up, and pointed at me. I'm playing a gig tonight without micing it...so I'll let ya know how that goes (although it's a pretty small room - maybe holds 75 people or so when packed) I play a mix of blues, rock, and pop...and for those purposes, it works very well. But I don't play real heavy "everyone turned up to 10" type music.

It also depends on what your definition of "clean" is...I usually don't mind if there's a bit of dirt in my sound. But I have a feeling though that if you really require "loud clean" in the pristinely clean sense, the Deluxe won't fit the bill.

The amp starts coming into its own around Volume = 2...and then starts getting dirty around Volume = 6-7. Above that, like most non-Master volume amps, it doesn't get much louder - just dirtier.

If you love the Deluxe tone (and I don't blame you...) then there's a few things you could do.
(1) More speakers will generally equal more volume. If you're willing to lug a 4x12 cab, it might get you that extra volume you'll need.
(2) More efficient speakers are louder. Call up Ted Weber at www.webervst.com and ask about that.
(3) Buy two! (And of course, in a gear forum...this is always the right answer). Two amps run at the same time will result in a 3dB increase in volume...or basically the equivelent of a 50W amp instead of 25W.

My Deluxe can get loud...WAY past conversational levels....but what sounds like loud alone can often be just barely cutting it live. Hope some of my rambling helped you.

- Dave

• Members

You'd need a PA with a couple thousand watts to mic it and vocals which most DIY folks don't got. I have played shows with a Deluxe Reverb but at venues that had a great house PA. Stage volume should be low in my oppinion you can tell that from bands who have experience and aren't just being silly. Deluxe has enough poop if yr PA has the watts. On a side note, my stage volume was always significantly lower than at the rehearsal space where the Deluxe never cut through drums. Always confused me.

Archived