Picked up my Magnatone

elctmist

• Members

Cool and interesting 213 Troubadour model. Much more mid-rangey and -- dare I say it, tweedy -- than my silverface princeton. It has a old-school crunch sound when you plug through the hi-gain input, think garage band power amp sweat not pre-amp distortion.

The vibrato is of course wonderful. I think I understand why its so hard to duplicate this sound, it's because the circuit works with the amp's mid-range push. Maybe a vibrato pedal with an EQ section would cop this sound better.

But its interesting that these amps never get cited when people ask about garagey crunch, because this little amp has that sound in spades, and I haven't even tried it with boosters or lipstick pickups yet.

DJ

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

wiggler = totally hetero.
icon13.gif

whatchoopay for Magna?

*edit* Manginatone.
:thu:

It was listed at $500, but they cut me a deal, so a couple of nice flea market/craig's list stompers, the $300 proceeds from the sale of a MIM tele and $44 in cash.

• Members
Originally posted by mst3k

What, no pix??

:)

Not yet, wuz too busy playing stupidly simple stuff just to hear the wobble. First thing I'm working on is clips. I hope that I can capture the sound with my modest recording setup.

I'm thinking close-mic'd.

Archived