those of you with amp modelers

men's pants

• Members

This is my rig:

Gibson Melody Maker RI w/ Duncan Custom ->

Chicago Thomas Crybaby -> Whammy 4 -> Synthwah -> DOD Classic Fuzz -> DOD Digital Turbo Distortion -> Tri AC -> Arion SCH1 -> Dano Tuna Melt -> Digitech Digidelay -> Boss TU-2 ->

Peavey Renown 2x12

All of the sounds are on the board - Peavey is run with the clean channel set flat.

Gibson + board = tones

Gibson + board + Peavey = LOUD tones

The Peavey is a SS high-wattage twin-type amp. I just set the eq on the clean channel flat, engage the bright switch (sounds dull otherwise) and it just takes my board-created tones and makes them shake the room :).

I've used this setup quite a bit, and unless you're talking about an older Marshall, which is made to distort with its sensitive input, it works well with anything you can set flat and clean. I actually like the results with a Marshall 8008 Valvestate power amp best - the 'tube' coloration just adds a little bit extra to what the Tri AC puts out.

I'm actually planning to buy a second one for A/B'ing between dry and effected sounds. I was running my setup like that until my other preamp got stolen.

Oh, and the Tri AC's signal path is analog, and I think the models are way, way better in terms of tone and feel than anything else out there - the other thing that came this close was a ZenTera, which I believe were around 1500 bucks when they came out.

• Members

I use an AxeFx modeler into a VHT 2:50:2 power amp into a Mesa 4x12 cabinet live and it sounds fantastic.

However the AxeFx has the ability to disable the power amp modeling and speaker modeling (for just such an application) so you're just using the preamp modeling.

The POD XT's have live modes that change the tone to better suit to use with a tube power amp. Their modeling is static anyways so that works fine.

I believe the Tonelab has a similar ability.

So the short answer is that modelers work fine through tube amps and tube power amps you just need make sure you configure them properly.

CC

• Members

Interesting...

I've found that your success with a traditional guitar amp/combo/head/cab (in whatever combination) really depends on many factors. It's kind of hit or miss, and trial and error.

For example: I had a DSL100/1960AV half stack for awhile and couldn't get my MFX (GT8, TLSE, and XTL) to sound very good through it... It was a very fine rig, but it just didn't seem to favor the MFX (trying all ways of hooking up and output settings). You also have to crank the DSL100 to get a good, saturated feel.

However, I recently knabbed a Crate Palomino V32 (30 watt, class a, 4x el84s) and it sounds GREAT with all of the MFXs. It even helped the XTL's tone a lot... mitigated a lot of the fizz. The V32 adds a lot of punch, sparkle and dimension to whatever I feed it.

Some MFX sound better through FRFR rigs while others sound kinda flat... the new GNX3K and VAP sound really great through my FRFR rig, but the XTL sounded plunky and flat most of the time. The GT8 seems to get along with everything, but tweaking tones is much simpler through an FRFR where you don't have as much coloration from the output rig. The TLSE was better through the FRFR too. This is all IMHO of course.

A high quality cable from your guitar to the MFX can also make a big difference in how your tone sounds.

Anyway - there's a few thoughts for you. I wish it were a lot less experimentation - but then again, we wouldn't be as able to find our unique musical voices would we?!

Hope it helps - somehow. ;)

• Members

I'm opposed to running any modeler anything but direct. If you must have an onstage monitoring source other than the PA monitors, get a full range keyboard amp or something. Running a modeler through a tube amp doesn't make sense, and it never sounded good..to me. Front end, effects loop, tube power amp, etc...never worked to me. Always sounded like there was a blanket over my sound.

• Members

Originally posted by men's pants

I can't get those hellatones- I'm in australia and don't like buying over the internet... I really don't want to mod the amp either...

Anyone in Australia know the price of a tonelab? (not the SE)

The tonelabs can be had between $AU300 and $AU450. I saw it in a guitar store in Perth for $300 but apparently they had a special buy price for that batch from the supplier and they normally cost around $350 or $400.

I'm considering getting one myself. They seem to be really liked around here and there's a huge thread devoted to them.

I used to own the v-amp 2 and while i liked it at first, i got tired of it pretty quickly. Its decent for high gain but i didnt really like the cleaner sounds and even some of the high gain sounds sounded pretty fizzy to me. I think the POD or tonelab would be a fair bit better than the v-amp based on clips and stuff i've heard.

• Members

Anyone who says these set-ups won't work is speaking only from their own experience. It is possible to get very good sounds out of a good modeler & tube amp... IF its a very clean tube amp.

Do some digging in the other forums. You'll see professional musicians not only endorsing these rigs, but giving tips on how to make them work.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Hopeless Romantic

I have a Tech 21 Tri-AC and it doesn't sound good at all infront of an amp. The only way I use it is recording direct to my computer.

Try a tech 21 power cube 60, PW60. They are made for modellers especially the TriAC. I use a TriAc as my preamp section and a tecdh 21 PW60 and it sounds great. After all the TriAC is an analog modeller. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by mabus013

This is my rig:

Gibson Melody Maker RI w/ Duncan Custom ->

Chicago Thomas Crybaby -> Whammy 4 -> Synthwah -> DOD Classic Fuzz -> DOD Digital Turbo Distortion -> Tri AC -> Arion SCH1 -> Dano Tuna Melt -> Digitech Digidelay -> Boss TU-2 ->

Peavey Renown 2x12

All of the sounds are on the board - Peavey is run with the clean channel set flat.

Gibson + board = tones

Gibson + board + Peavey = LOUD tones

The Peavey is a SS high-wattage twin-type amp. I just set the eq on the clean channel flat, engage the bright switch (sounds dull otherwise) and it just takes my board-created tones and makes them shake the room
:)

I've used this setup quite a bit, and unless you're talking about an older Marshall, which is made to distort with its sensitive input, it works well with anything you can set flat and clean. I actually like the results with a Marshall 8008 Valvestate power amp best - the 'tube' coloration just adds a little bit extra to what the Tri AC puts out.

I'm actually planning to buy a second one for A/B'ing between dry and effected sounds. I was running my setup like that until my other preamp got stolen.

Oh, and the Tri AC's signal path is analog, and I think the models are way, way better in terms of tone and feel than anything else out there - the other thing that came this close was a ZenTera, which I believe were around 1500 bucks when they came out.

Yea I agree, I have tried Pods and other amps sims but nothing gives what the TriAC puts out. It does not have 100 amp models but what it does model is super.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by PaulS

Yea I agree, I have tried Pods and other amps sims but nothing gives what the TriAC puts out. It does not have 100 amp models but what it does model is super.
:thu:

I don't know why, unless you're in a really wide-ranging cover band and are really unimaginative (like the audience is really going to notice whether you use a Mesa or a Marshall anyway, if that's the case), you'd need more than three channels. I only use the Fender ('Tweed') and Marshall ('Brit') settings, two of the channels are Marshall - one higher gain with bigger bass, and one lower gain and more mids, more of a John Christ kind of tone.

I used to have a ADA MP1 with dozens of available presets...at first I was like, cool! And then I really thought about it, and I need a clean and two levels of distortion. That's it, so why all of the presets? And {censored} the onboard effects with the POD and others - that's what I have a pedalboard for.

• Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

IMO, ive yet to hear a modeling amp that didnt sound too digital. my berhinger sounds NICE, but its all ANALOGUE modeling on the amp side.

My Guitar Rig computer program actually sounds very analogue... of course you'd need a laptop to use it live...

• Members

Originally posted by men's pants

Pod 2.0 or Tonelab or Behringer v amp2?

Mostly care about distortion on it, cleans on my amp are fine. Effects are a plus! I play everything....

Now running a Tech 21 Sansamp, i.e. the TriAC, TriOD, GT-2, and PSA-1 Preamp into an fx loop return on a tube amp won't sound too bad but will cause more lack of difference between the different distortion tones and cause the cleans to sound distorted in a not-so-good way IMO.

BUT... I had a V-Amp 2 that sounded GREAT in the fx loop return of my Peavey Ultra Plus tube amp, and then I bought a V-Ampire head that I actually like to run out of the line out (or send) jack into the fx return on my Ultra Plus, and it sounds just like the V-Amp 2, plus I run an eq pedal between the V-Ampire and the fx return of my Ultra Plus to get a really good and thicker tone~!

[KEY INFORMATION HERE: TURN OFF (!!!) THE CAB SIMS ON THE BEHRINGER V-AMPS TO GET A GOOD SOUND WHEN RUNNING INTO A TUBE AMP, AND USE THE FX RETURN RATHER THAN RUNNING IT STRAIGHT INTO THE FRONT INPUT(S)!!!]

Some modellers work great in a tube amp as long as it's via the fx loop return, bypassing the preamps. The only one I'm sure that doesn't work great that way is the Tech 21 Sansamps, which I'd personally recommend for anyone w/ a good SS amp to run it through, i.e. Roland JC-120, which is the setup I used w/ the PSA-1 Sansamp I had for a while.

Archived