those of you with amp modelers

men's pants

• Members

i think that would work quite well, and you have to factor in the speakers used - they go a long way with modelers

i run mine into an old stereo tube amplifier, but the tube amp was designed for record players/aux so it has a flat response needed for modelers. i run that into either a tower setup (PA) or into an early 60s super reverb cab 4x10 and like the results. the tubes definately do help warm up the sounds, but like i said speakers are a huge part of it as well

• Members

Since modellers model power amps, running them into anything other than clean amps that don't color the sound at all does more harm than good I found. I used to run a Tonelab SE directly into the PA or into a keyboard type amp. Into a guitar amp, it didn't work nearly as well.

• Members

Originally posted by men's pants

I've gotten myself a tube amp...... Would the power tubes colour the tone at all? (i'm by passing the preamp)

That's just what tubes do. Guitar amps are designed to color the sound. The speakers have a big effect too. Modellers are designed to replicate all that coloration and be plugged direct to recorder or PA. Plugged into a guitar amp, even the power stage, you end up essentially doubling the effect of the amp section and speakers which doesn't sound very good usually.

• Members

Originally posted by men's pants

So I'm better off getting single pedals?

edit: I've got a peavey prowler right now, 45 watts all tube with a blue marvel 12 inch, and running of two 6L6's

Personally, I would spend some money and replace that blue marvel with a hellatone 60 (www.avatarspeakers.com). That will do wonders for your tone right there.

Stully

• Members

Originally posted by stull

Personally, I would spend some money and replace that blue marvel with a hellatone 60 (
www.avatarspeakers.com
). That will do wonders for your tone right there.

Stully

i know someone who replaced the speakers in their line 6 flextone combo with flat modeling speakers. i would think this is a sensible upgrade, given the modeling technology of the flextone. I'd also think it's good to allow for the most headroom possible. would higher power handling on the speakers make a difference? i remember someone yelling at me for thinking more power handling equals more headroom... like there's a peak at 75 or 80 watts, and the performance becomes less efficient beyond that? :confused:

i'm about to get some cabs that have 100w speakers in them, so i hope that's not entirely true

• Members

Hey man,

back when I had a PODxt, there were a few times when I'd run it through a rack power amp like an old Marshall 9005 power amp or a Mesa/Boogie 20/20. It sounded pretty good, I was pleasantly surprised. For the money you could get away with spending on a cheap tube poweramp and a nice modeller, I think you could make out with a decent rig. I think it pales in comparison with a real tube amp though, in both the dynamics and decay of your sound. For the versatility and price, maybe it's worth it, it'd be cool to have all those effects so compactly available at your feet. I myself just prefer real tube amps and pedals I guess.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You might want to see what you think of an analog modeler (?) into a tube guitar amp. Morley JD10 or JD20 is what I mean by an analog modeler; it has knobs to twirl rather than digital settings. I use one with a Music Man amp and it sounds GREAT.

• Members

Originally posted by slej

You might want to see what you think of an analog modeler (?) into a tube guitar amp. Morley JD10 or JD20 is what I mean by an analog modeler; it has knobs to twirl rather than digital settings. I use one with a Music Man amp and it sounds GREAT.

I run my zoom g2 in front of a musicman amp too. sweet!

• Members

I use a PODxt as part of my rig. I can A/B and combine it with my tube amp's preamp for dual sounds. It runs in a loop of my GCX switcher, and back to the FX return of my amp.

The PODxt is great for covering that extra ground that I can't be bothered with. The tone is great too. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It rocks in this setup, and it is a good compromise. I'll never give up my tube amp, but the POD is that extra touch ov=f versatility.

• Members

I'll be honest and say that my two rigs are:

podxt into a pair of samson rubicon powered monitors.....use for home practice and to record direct with....tone is excellent although the powered monitors are only 75 watts and I can really only enjoy the tones at low to almost medium volume....tone is great but can't really "feel" the music.

live and if I want more volume......podxt into the fx return of my all tube peavey bravo tube amp.....1 x 12, 25watts.....sounds killer and can get very loud, enough for a smallish gig.

I use the exact same patches, I just change the output setting on the podxt from studio direct to one that I feel makes the patches sound almost the same....great tones.

I also discovered that if I tweaked my patches with the xt running through the bravo combo that the patches sounded better later when going to the powered monitors.....in other words, I found I could create a patch that sounded good through the powered monitors that did NOT sound good through the fx return of the combo tube amp.....but if a patch was tweaked to sound great through the combo amp.....it really shined through the monitors and recorded direct......I also found that I had to have a fair amount of volume for patches to sound proper through the peavey bravo (which you'd expect) which is why I often use the powered monitors for at home practice....becasue I can get the great tone (not really feel though) at low volume.

I really found that I could record direct and get about as good a result as I did if I recorded my amp live with a mic......maybe because I dont' have a great studio....mic....etc.....but the bottom line is that for recording for me......direct is more than good enough.....but I know work out all my tones with the podxt running through the bravo's fx return......by the way....I think I get better tones using the podxt than just using the bravo (although it can be made to sound great at full volume)

does the bravo color the pod.......I guess slightly or more that it may warm it up a bit....certianly makes it able to be felt....

hope this helps

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

That's just what tubes do. Guitar amps are designed to color the sound. The speakers have a big effect too. Modellers are designed to replicate all that coloration and be plugged direct to recorder or PA. Plugged into a guitar amp, even the power stage, you end up essentially doubling the effect of the amp section and speakers which doesn't sound very good usually.

I disagree with this....the podxt can take this into account and gives many options with the vibe feature to dial in a great tone through a combo (or stack) setup....from their manual:

LIVE 2X12 & LIVE 4X12

• Members

Originally posted by innobidova

is the marshall jmp-1 technically a modeler? i plan on getting one later on, as well as a peavey classic 50/50 (or two
:evil:
)

if you get the peavey 50/50 i suggest to get the one with el84's... downside: the cost of a retube is high... btw.. it's pretty loud and i had my share of so called loud amps before...

Archived