OT: Anyone here from Kansas?

my88keys

• Members

Sometimes I seriously contemplate picking up the family and moving to another country. Being in California, and today being election day - well, a special election this time around, does that count? - puts me in a bit of a funk.

And then I think, "Well, at least it ain't Kansas."

• Members

I love on the KS/MO border (i'm literally 50 feet from KS) - and this isn't the first time this has happened, and it's definitely not over, as far as state and nat'l college board responses.

the national science board has already removed their curriculum from all state texts, and once students try to apply to colleges outside of KS, things will get dicey.
it'll be like trying to apply to apply for college in a state that considers your education incomplete, and students will either have to take nationally accepted science courses during a special session between high school graduation and college application cut-off, or make it up some other way. otherwise they have to stay in KS.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

Yep. I'm here. It's bad. Ignorance is celebrated.

+1

I'm from kansas, it's like a black hole. 95% of the people here grew up in ks and probably won't ever leave. that's why my plans are to graduate as soon as possible and head for the opposite side of either the equator or the prime meridian for graduate school. that, and adopt a new accent.

• Members

my favorite quote from the article
In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.

That is just {censored}ing great. Wasnt it backwards {censored} like this that made is think the taliban was a bunch of cooks.... ok, admittedly an over reaching anaology....

anyways, you can look back at newtons laws and trace them as the basic roots of what has lead to modern day quantum theory.

Even if evolution doesnt happen, we know for a fact that the mechanics for it exist and its essentially a statistical certainty, that over time genomes will shift.

I dont want to knock people that believe in inteligent design, i think that if you beleive in a creator, you have to sort of accept it as a given. It simply has no place in a science class.

• Members

How {censored}ing insane is it that they rewrote the definition of science?

I mean, thats like something you would use as an example of something so extremely stupid nobody would realistically consider it.

"Dude, why don't you just rewrite the definition of science?!"

• Members

anyone else notice the headlines this morning in relation to this story?

How about the school board in Dover PA, where evolution is also being challenged?

oh yeah - all EIGHT fundamentalist wackos were swept out of their board posts by sane thinking moderates.

thanks creationists - you can step down and go back to church now!

• Members
Originally posted by sonaboy

I live on the KS/MO border (i'm literally 50 feet from KS) - and this isn't the first time this has happened, and it's definitely not over, as far as state and nat'l college board responses.

Where do you live?

I went to school in Missouri, but our parking lot was in Kansas. :)

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

The whole idea of Intelligent Design pisses me off to no end. How {censored}ing ignorant, stupid and scared do you have to be to believe in that {censored}. Intelligent Design has more holes in it than orgainized religion itself.

I didn't realize it was actually supposed to be a cohesive theory...

I always thought that it was just some fuzzy idea that there's a higher power guiding evolution or something...

(kinda like Alcoholics Anonymous, only with monkeys instead of Jack Daniels)

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

The whole idea of Intelligent Design pisses me off to no end. How {censored}ing ignorant, stupid and scared do you have to be to believe in that {censored}. Intelligent Design has more holes in it than orgainized religion itself.

I don't think you have to be stupid, ignorant or scared to believe it. I know for a fact that intelligence is not based on whether or not you believe in intelligent design because a lot of people, a few within shouting distance of me would within shouting distance of me would wipe mine, yours and anyone else's ass here with their knowledge of math, science and physics.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

How {censored}ing insane is it that they rewrote the definition of science?

I mean, thats like something you would use as an example of something so extremely stupid nobody would realistically consider it.

"Dude, why don't you just rewrite the definition of science?!"

Read here about how Indiana way back when tried to redefine the mathematical constant pi.

:freak::cry:

• Members
Originally posted by my88keys

Sometimes I seriously contemplate picking up the family and moving to another country. Being in California, and today being election day - well, a special election this time around, does that count? - puts me in a bit of a funk.

And then I think, "Well, at least it ain't Kansas."

Great points neighbor!!

:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

my favorite quote from the article

In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.

That is just {censored}ing great. Wasnt it backwards {censored} like this that made is think the taliban was a bunch of cooks....

LambKabobs.jpg

• Members

[reaches for portable soapbox]

I grew up as the son of a fundamentalist pastor in a small northern California town. I was a hardcore creationist when I was a kid / teenager, and fairly well educated within my narrow little reality tunnel. I was that super-annoying jackass that 'takes on' the high school biology teacher and tries to debate evolution vs. creationism... gahhh...

I (hope I) am completely different these days.:)

BUT, one fortunate result of my upbringing is that I feel like I really know where a lot of those fundies are coming from. I hate generalities (as a general rule!) - but most of the people with whom I have spoken who are pushing for Intelligent Design do NOT believe in a fuzzy sort of force-that-pushed-it-all-into-being. They believe that God created the earth, and then He populated it with plants, animals and people. I strongly disagree, but at least they are thinking. My father, for example, worked for NASA in the early days of the space program as an aeronautical engineer, quit to go to seminary, preached for thirty years and is now almost done building my mom's dream house by hand. Not a dummy. I sincerely respect these people for being as intellectually honest as they can. I think they are wrong. But I respect that position.

There are also those who believe that we are here by chance, an accident on a cosmic scale. This would be me, for instance. And I believe this because, to me, the preponderance of the evidence leads me to that conclusion. I don't believe this because it is the way I was raised or because I was browbeaten into acquiesence by my college professors. [However, it is just as possible to be an 'evolutionist' and to be guilty of fuzzy logic as of anything else that people hold to]

Then there are the others, perhaps a majority of Americans these days, who tend to think more about nothing further than Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie-Professional athletes-my next drink-yadayadayada... these are the 'swing' votes. These are the folks that say things like, "I don't believe in God, per se, but I think there's Something Out There Bigger Than Us." Now, to me, that's fuzzy. And that's the hardcore creationists' way in. "Aha! Mr. Fuzzy, you are RIGHT. There simply MUST be Something Bigger, because the alternative is to think of yourself as a cosmic accident! Look at you, look at the sheer WONDER of you! Look at the world around you! Can you BELIEVE that some silly scientists say this all just HAPPENED? Everyone knows sumthin' don't come from nuthin'! That's just SILLY!....here, sign this petition..."

And all the while, in every other modern country in the world, the future scientists and engineers are grinning behind their hands.

Sorry for the rant. ;)

• Members

What gets me is this--the explanation of creationism put forth in Genesis is taken literally. Hardcore creationists fail to take into account that Genesis can be taken as an allegory for God's creation of the universe as well as evolution. Is it entirely out of the question to think that God perhaps guided the process of evolution? Religion and science don't have to be mutually exclusive here.

(BTW, I don't really consider myself a Christian per se.)

Archived