Hendrix live at woodstock

Vince

• Members

I used to have a video dub of that show - for whatever reason it was sped up so the music played at about a semitone sharp and everything skipped along a little faster - kinda made it fall a little flat when I bought the complete double CD set a few years later which had been mastered at correct speed - great show though.....some unreal playing.

I feel for those percussionists - the only time you ever hear them is at soundcheck when noone else is playing - as soon as Jimi hits the Marshalls it's bye bye Juma and Jerry! They're good for acid fuelled facial expressions though....

• Members

In the Film about Jimi Hendrix DVD there is extra footage of Billy Cox saying they got to Woodstock at 2 PM to play at 8PM Sunday night and finally went on a 6am the next day Monday and that they were exhausted. Despite that Hendrix plays great! That chord riffing up and down the neck shows Hendrix's ever improving improvisational power.

• Members

Hmmm, I watched some of it too, and... I dunno, his technique was obviously amaaaazing, but thos esolos were so undisciplined and unfocused and went on for hours. I got bored watching it... I kind of think that kind of genius needs a strong framework to make it shine. That's why the studio albums are so good - he had to condense the best of that amazing playing into a song format.

I thought it was interesting how one of his friends said ppl probably read too much into the star spangled banner, and he was probably just playing it to express support for 'our boys in 'nam!'

;)

• Members

im not that fond ofthe star spangled banner thing he plays, I mean it's always at least a little bit novelty when people pick out tunes to play on an instrument like when my friend plays the pro evo tune on the bass or the jurassic park theme.

It is however really funny when he hitting one note then bending it each way and changing his face to go with it.

• Members

bought a double dvd of the henrdix woodstock concert two weeks ago, i think its newly released.

first dvd is the original footage in color and some songs missing (i guess two) of the concert, i guess they were replacing film rolls :D

the second dvd is partly black white and uses some private footage and it's the entire show...

have only watched the firast dvd, but it was really amazing... let's see when my GF is next time prepared for 2 hours hendrix music :)

Archived