can someone recommend a "darker" phaser?

best.album.ever

• Members

so, i've never been a huge fan of modulation, but i think i should reconsider. it's basically an entire genre of effects that i've been depriving myself of:thu:

anyway, i've only had a few phase pedals, a byoc phase 90 clone and dod fx? stereo phaser.

i took the phase 90 off of my board a while back because i just felt the sound was too bright and almost a little cheesy. i kind of want something a little deeper and maybe murkier, if that makes any sense

is there another phaser that sounds a lot darker, im looking for an effect similar to the phase sound on incubus' "when it comes". i know mike uses boss ph2?s, so this might be what im looking for. also, i know there's a color knob on the ehx small stones, how does this affect the sound?

thanks

• Members

I was thinking Moog.

The PH2 I don't think is very dark from memory or the Incubus sound. If you think the PH90 is too bright, the PH2 won't do it for ya.

The PH3 is a trick pedal but ugly-digital.

The Moog I'd suggest to be able to get closer. But you're talking $299 and you're sounding like you're not that into modulation.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I was thinking Moog.

The PH2 I don't think is very dark from memory or the Incubus sound. If you think the PH90 is too bright, the PH2 won't do it for ya.

The PH3 is a trick pedal but ugly-digital.

The Moog I'd suggest to be able to get closer. But you're talking $299 and you're sounding like you're not that into modulation.

the 12 stage phaser sounds amazing, and even if i was more of a modulation cat, i doubt i could spend that much on it anyway. college.....

• Members

Im with you on the dark phaser thing. Soooooooooo get a Maxon Phase Tone(can be had for about 100$ used). Adjust internal trim pot(theres two, so figure out which one is the depth one) to minimum or just above. Very cool phaser. Not to swooshy, I hate swooshy. More leslie, vibe-like. Only one knob on the outside(speed) so no need to be mucking about once youve set to internal trim pot to taste. Adjusting the trim pot is very easy and not as drastic as you think to the overall sound. It just made more tasteful to me.

• Members

Try the Pigtronix EP-1 Phaser.

With the INVERT setting, you can get subtractive phase shifting which is very dark, deep and weird. With this setting, the phase shifted wave is actually subtracted from the dry signal in the output mixing stage. It is killer for FAT bass and ultra deep phaser tones.

Another way to get at some deep tones is to use the CHARACTER knob to manipulate the voltage going to the LFO, which, as it is turned down, gives a deeper sound.

The MOOG has neither of these features, not to mention the ability to control the phase with an sidechainable envelope follower.

www.pigtronix.com

• Members

Small Stone definitely.

It's dark and also very thick, phases you're entire sound as opposed to pedals like the Phase90 which tend to sit on top of parts of your signal.

Small stone just sucks it all in and swirls it around.

• Members

Small Stone if you don't feel like spending too much $$$

Moogerfooger can do it (but it doesn't sound as good as it should with distortion)

my fav dark phaser is the Ibanez Jetlyzer, it's got a tone control, and a nice dark growly phasing effect, and a ridiculous Jetplane effect, what were those guys thinking

:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by best.album.ever

yeah, i think thats almost the opposite of what i want. i'd definitely prefer something with boosted bass and mids, with the treble cut

well in that case go for the Ibanez PT9, as far as my experience goes. It almost sounds 'dull' compared to the PH-1r. But a very low/mid chunky sound. Just not much treble activity going on.

• Members

Originally posted by best.album.ever

is there another phaser that sounds a lot darker, im looking for an effect similar to the phase sound on incubus' "when it comes". i know mike uses boss ph2?s, so this might be what im looking for. also, i know there's a color knob on the ehx small stones, how does this affect the sound?

thanks

just take your time and look for a systech phase shifter on ebay. if you find one, get it. it's dark and juicy and saturated and i'm stupid for selling mine. it's also the heaviest and strongest pedal i've ever seen. systech is cool

• Members

The Pigtronix is probably the best suggestion I've heard. I've played about everything minus the red witch (which I really want to try). The Moog is good and definitely not harsh, but I wouldn't describe it as dark. All Moog effects have a certain hi-fi "sheen" to their sound, which is cool, but certainly goes against this "dark" motif. The small stone is a good suggestion as well, but can get a little peaky on it's sweep and has a definite problem with volume drop. The pigtronix is probably the best phaser out there. I kind of wish I'd kept mine. :(

• Members

Words are a poor way to describe sounds, but you might consider a phaser with a Frequency or Center control. this selects which portion of the range will be the center of the phasing.

The Moog has it and so does the Subdecay Quasar. The Pigtronix will get the "dark' tones in a different way.

Archived