Who uses a looper with their band?

Tele The Truth

• Members

I do - i use an Akai Headrush E1 for loops on the fly.

most of our music is pretty slow, so it's not too hard to start one on time, and keep it in time.

I use it for harmony parts, since we're a three piece. sometimes i'll use it as a noise background, but mainly i like harmonizing with a phrase of notes.

check my sig for music on myspace that illustrates how i use it.

one of the tricks to SMOOTH looping is being able to sample the SECOND loop, so you get the tail end of the phrase mixed in with the start of the second phrase - that way, the glitch at the end of the loop isn't as noticeable.

• Members

I use the Electrix Repeater with an FCB1010 to control it and it works great. The Repeater might not be readily available and be a bit pricey but it works like a charm.

I've used the Boss RC-20 and that works great too.

Unless your band is super tight or you're playing to a click track you won't want to use it for more than a few measures because the tempo will start to waiver.

• Members
Originally posted by sonaboy

I do - i use an Akai Headrush E1 for loops on the fly.

most of our music is pretty slow, so it's not too hard to start one on time, and keep it in time.

I use it for harmony parts, since we're a three piece. sometimes i'll use it as a noise background, but mainly i like harmonizing with a phrase of notes.

check my sig for music on myspace that illustrates how i use it.

Cool.

one of the tricks to SMOOTH looping is being able to sample the SECOND loop, so you get the tail end of the phrase mixed in with the start of the second phrase - that way, the glitch at the end of the loop isn't as noticeable.

Man, you really lost me on that one with the second loop thing.:o
I thought you just hit record, played whatever rhythm and hit playback (or something along those lines)....and then you could play over the rhythm track.

• Members
Originally posted by Tele The Truth

Man, you really lost me on that one with the second loop thing.
:o
I thought you just hit record, played whatever rhythm and hit playback (or something along those lines)....and then you could play over the rhythm track.

no man - what i meant was - if you play using any type of delay BEFORE the looping pedal, then your delay pedal will make a trail that gets "cut off" if you simply play the phrase right from the beginning, and then close the loop immediately after it's done, because it cuts off the delay pedal's repeats.

so i figured out, that if you play the phrase a second time, the best phrase to record and loop is the second one, because that one will start with the delay pedal trails feeding into the new phrase.

does any of this make any sense to anyone else?

• Members

slaws and covertmusic724,

Thanks for the replies. I see that both of you guys recomended the rc-20xl. Other than longer recording length and the ability to store loops, is there any reason to go with this unit over the DD-20. Just curious.

Thanks.

the DD 20 isn't a true looper.

it's simply a "sound on sound" infinite delay pedal.

• Members

no man - what i meant was - if you play using any type of delay BEFORE the looping pedal, then your delay pedal will make a trail that gets "cut off" if you simply play the phrase right from the beginning, and then close the loop immediately after it's done, because it cuts off the delay pedal's repeats.

so i figured out, that if you play the phrase a second time, the best phrase to record and loop is the second one, because that one will start with the delay pedal trails feeding into the new phrase.

does any of this make any sense to anyone else?

OK....gotcha.......I understand now! I'd most likely place the looper first in my chain so that it gets pure guitar without any processing.

• Members

the DD 20 isn't a true looper.

it's simply a "sound on sound" infinite delay pedal.

Even so, should I be considering it for what I want to do, or should I keep my sights set higher. I just thought that if it would serve my looping needs, I could also add another delay pedal to the arsenal!;)

• Members

Even so, should I be considering it for what I want to do, or should I keep my sights set higher. I just thought that if it would serve my looping needs, I could also add another delay pedal to the arsenal!
;)

if you want a multifunction delay pedal with a true looper in it, just get a DL4.
the DL4 looper is very powerful, and can do double speed/half speed, backwards loops too.

ever looked into those?

Archived