Which A/B box would you recommend

andrewgil

• Members

I am looking for a solid A/B box to switch between two amps or have both on while playing live. i have tried a few and noticed some drop in signal when going through one channel. Basicly, if i am going through channel A to my Vox, I want it to sound just like it would if I were plugging straight into the amp. same thing for channel b and having both on.

Any A/B box recommendations or users out there?

• Members

First off, you have to decide if you need isolated outputs or not. Basically, if you get hum when running two amps in parallel (from a stereo pedal, or by connecting them in other ways), you need isolation.

The MonkeyFX FlyingFox is iso'd, as well as the Radial Switchbone, Lehle, Palmer PGA-01, Roger Mayer Crossroads and Framptone Amp Switcher. Out of those, I'd definitely go for the MonkeyFX - it is just as good as the others, but way cheaper. Isolated ABY's are usually active/buffered (except the Lehle), which helps the signal when feeding both amps.

If you don't get hum, you will not need isolation (with your current rig and in its current location - change one thing or move it, and things may be different). Anyway, non-isolated ABY's are quite plentyful - loooper, Tone-Master, Startouch etc. Passive, non-iso'd boxes like these will not have any buffering, so you might want to make sure to place a buffered pedal (Boss/Ibanez or similar) in front of the ABY.

/Andreas

• Members

I actually referred to Loop-master, who's now also using the 2" x 2" enclosures.

Yea but it's a tight fit. I don't know if I'll ever get to the leds as I would have to source out some smaller parts for the led circuit.

Your little A/B boxes look killer if I may say so.

• Members

Originally posted by Loop-Master

Yea but it's a tight fit. I don't know if I'll ever get to the leds as I would have to source out some smaller parts for the led circuit.

Your little A/B boxes look killer if I may say so.

thanks! :)

[stallone's Rocky 3 moment:] "You ain't so bad, you ain't so bad." ;)

I know, it's an insanely tight fit, that's why they're slightly more expensive than my Tiny A/B boxes (3,5" x 1,5"). I think there's only a 0.05" deviation possible with the parts, or else the jacks will either touch eachother or touch the switch.

About the LEDs, I use small 5mm bezels, that are very reasonably priced. Check the Ebay seller Angelsylvia, I believe I paid $15 incl. shipping for 100 bezels. :thu:

But there's definitely NO room for a 2nd LED + bezel. I might go with a bi-color LED in the future though.

Archived