Do new amplifiers "break-in"?

Acid Test

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

Do combo amplifier "break-in" over time? If so, does this include solid state combos?

Speakers break in over time - I think the more you play them, the more flexible and worn the paper cone gets. Tubes wear out - but I think that's less breaking in and more just breaking.

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

A tip I learned from a speaker pro... Fabric softener on the cones will soften up an icepick sound. Of course you can't soak it and you need to be careful doing such a thing so I don't really recommend it.

I've never heard this one before but you seem to think it is a bad idea, why is that?

It sounds like it wouldn't be difficult as long as you careful

• Members

Originally posted by tigger_ferret

I've never heard this one before but you seem to think it is a bad idea, why is that?

It sounds like it wouldn't be difficult as long as you careful

Bad idea for somebody like me to recommend doing anything like that. Could disappoint somebody. Or they may plug it in turn it on and pour Snuggles right into the chassis. I can't be blamed for that but paper coffee cups say "Caution Hot" because somebody out there lacked the common sense...

I have been meaning to try this very thing actually.

• Members

I think just playing through a speaker at high volume will get it nice and broken in after after a while.

Using fabric softener reminds me of trying to artificially break in a baseball cap or a pair of jeans. Sure it might do something, but isn't going to be as good as breaking it in the old fashioned way.

Archived