tell me about the hotcake

doomy3

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I'm with the furtive bald man on this one. That was exactly my experience when I decided not to buy one myself.

Furtive bald man.....hahaha you crack me up gbm, thanks. :thu:

Apologies to furtive bald man concerned, though.

I've been curious for some time with the Hotcake, without having heard it but yet read all the descriptions about it, it seems to be a curiously cantankerous beast that's highly selective of its partnering devices.

OK, so no 6L6. Read somewhere here that EL84 valve amps are good with it - what else? Would somethng else work, say a trannie JC-120?

• Members

Originally posted by keramat8

OK, so no 6L6. Read somewhere here that EL84 valve amps are good with it - what else? Would somethng else work, say a trannie JC-120?

Mebbe, it works alright as a an amp simulator type thing to the board, have to try to say for sure though.

-- the furtive bald man

• Members

It can sound odd with certain amps, IMO.... through Solid states and fenders give it that odd tail off - it can kinda just glitch out...but I love that sound - and it has a huge range of available dirt levels as well - it can sound anywhere from clanky and jangly, gritty, fuzzy, and plain old very warm and lazy sounding.....but best to try it through YOUR amp first.

I've heard them through Oranges, Vox, Marshalls, Mesas, Fenders, Soldanos, and all sorts of other amps and never once did it sound much the same. Odd.

I'd like to take this opportunity to show off my very cool hotcake t-shirt that was produced locally. Way cool - I just happen to be wearing it right now....a must for muso-kiwis everywhere.

• Members

The Hotcake is easily one of the most misunderstood pedals on the market. Most people either love it or hate it, but there's a reason for that. It has to be used like it was intended, for light overdrive. If you crank the gain it turns to mud. It's that simple. Keep the gain below 2 o'clock and it rocks. I don't even think it has a problem with 6L6 amps so much, if used in this manner. I'm using one with my Kingsnake.

• Members

Yeah I agree ... Its great if you use it as intended. I keep the Gain between 1-2 oclock. The volume knob at around 11-12. And turn the presence knob up (a ways) until it sounds right. I use it with my Tele into my Gibson Goldtone (EL84) and it sounds great. Its a little gritty, light overdrive. Its just my personal taste that I really like it. I guess its a really acquired taste type of pedal.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I'm on my third, I love 'em, I just find them very amp sensitive.

I'd like to find the version with the switch rather than the tone knob, tried one, it was like having a great boost pedal that could also do a supercharged MXR Dist+ sound.

Archived