just got called for jury duty

TheTripster

• Members

how does it work exactly alongside your real life?
(i know in scotland it will be different for me, but in america at least)

for example i am 19 so could be called up, and am studying full time at university, so if i get called up to do jury duty for a month on some big case, that basically {censored}s my whole year of uni, or would that count as a reason for me not to be doing it?
or for working at whatever job, they can just pull you from whatever work you are currently doing? so your work needs to find someone to cover your workload, working in a supermarket, no problem, but in a higher level job that could completely {censored} with deadlines getting someone else to cover your work on a big project, no use when it needs to be done in a week...

so how exactly does it work then? if you have sufficient reason to need your hours elsewhere you get off with it, or do they just say '{censored} it' and drag you out regardless?

David

• Members

This was (and probably still is) the main problem with letting people out of jury duty. People with "important" jobs were often let out and the every-day folks had to fill in the vacancies. Not so fair, but then again, life isn't always so.

There was a joke about juries that went something like this:

Why would I want a jury of my peers? Those fools couldn't even get out of jury duty!

Well, I guess you had to be there...

• Members

Full time students get an exemption here, Narcosynthesis. If you are over 65 I think it is optional - they don't have to, but often they like to serve. If you have a medical condition and a doctor's note or are the primary caretaker of an elderly person, you can get an exemption.

If you are a regular workaday smuck you have to lie to get out of it, just ignore the the summons and risk a warrant, or properly serve.

Your company is not supposed to hold it against you that you serve, you can't be penalized. But being on a superlong jury trial like the Michael Jackson one... it's like being on a reality tv show and who goes on those... people who can take time off work, people who are marginally employed, students taking a break from uni, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

This was (and probably still is) the main problem with letting people out of jury duty. People with "important" jobs were often let out and the every-day folks had to fill in the vacancies. Not so fair, but then again, life isn't always so.

There was a joke about juries that went something like this:

Why would I want a jury of my peers? Those fools couldn't even get out of jury duty!

Well, I guess you had to be there...

Usually people with "important" jobs get deferrals. My cousin is a CPA and he got called up a couple of years ago and it was during the beginning of April. He told them, and showed to them through letters by the partners in the firm that it was detremental to their and other businesses to have him seized during tax season.

He just got delayed was all.

• Members

Yeah, don't buy that "important guy" thing. I've jurors who were doctors, lawyers, CPA's, Military, owners of large companies, etc...

I've also had people who still had the slap mark on their face from when their transvestite white trash lover slapped them on the Jerry Springer show.

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

See ya in 7 years!

Wow. Are you only required to serve once every 7 years? Here, they can make you serve every year. Because of the various court systems, you might get a summons from two different courts in a single year (there doesn't seem to be a single database of who has served and who has not). I have seen no foolproof way of getting dismissed. You have to remember that judges see every trick in the book every day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

pointless update: i sucked it up and just returned the letter when they told me to last month, and this morning i got a letter from the clerk of court saying they needed less jurors than they thought, so that i don't have to go. i was actually starting to look forward to it :(

• Members

Since I moved within the Baltimore city limits in 1988, I've been called for jury duty every 12-18 months. I've only made it as far as "Alternate Juror # 1" for one trial, and that was settled by a plea bargain.

To me, jury duty is a day spent reading, having lunch downtown, either at The Block or Harborplace, and picking up some Turkish cigarettes at Fader's Tobacconist.

• Members

It's definitely a civic duty that everyone, regardless of hardship, needs to follow through with. Funny how it's called "a jury of one's peers" when most juries end up being 12 retired white people. I'm called every 1-2 years and regardless of personal circumstances I have *never* copped out, even if it meant I had to go out of pocket and send one of my employees in my place.

Archived