just got called for jury duty

TheTripster

• Members

am i eluding my responsibilities in planning to claim that my diagnoses of add and social anxiety inhibit me from performing my civic duty? does said action sequester me from my chances of a political career? not that i plan on that future at all, i just wonder if they look up stuff like "getting out of jury duty" when you run for office, and if doing this will make me an instant non-patriot... or if that will even work

:(

• Members

Originally posted by Montag

the trick is to say youre prejudiced against all races.

i don't know man. i honestly wouldn't put my fate in my hands if i were me... i mean. i don't know. i really can't pay attention for {censored}, particularly when i feel out of my element, i.e. in a big courtoom where someone's {censored}ing future is dependent on me. however, i have nothing else going on, no job or school at the moment, i'm open-minded... i'm not affiliated politically with any party, i'm not racist or sexist. it's like a moral dilemma... but with ethics.

• Members

Originally posted by TheTripster

i don't know man. i honestly wouldn't put my fate in my hands if i were me... i mean. i don't know. i really can't pay attention for {censored}, particularly when i feel out of my element, i.e. in a big courtoom where someone's {censored}ing future is dependent on me. however, i have nothing else going on, no job or school at the moment, i'm open-minded... i'm not affiliated politically with any party, i'm not racist or sexist. it's like a moral dilemma... but with ethics.

no school, no job?

go sit on your ass in a court building for a while instead of home/

and isnt being called for jury duty not a guarantee of actually being on one? they might strike you or whatever they do on law and order:o

• Members

Originally posted by Montag

no school, no job?

go sit on your ass in a court building for a while instead of home/

and isnt being called for jury duty not a guarantee of actually being on one? they might strike you or whatever they do on law and order:o

yes but i could either send this back in saying i don't think i can do it, which means they say "alright, nevermind" or "{censored} you, come in anyway you cheating cheater" or i show up at 9 am for orientation and jury selection and {censored} and go through all that just to hear that a.) i am not going to serve jury duty or b.) i am going to serve on a jury as long as the trial i'm selected for goes

• Members

yes but i could either send this back in saying i don't think i can do it, which means they say "alright, nevermind" or "{censored} you, come in anyway you cheating cheater" or i show up at 9 am for orientation and jury selection and {censored} and go through all that just to hear that a.) i am not going to serve jury duty or b.) i am going to serve on a jury as long as the trial i'm selected for goes

get really baked.

• Members

can i make a difference? is this the right thing to do? or does this really not matter
:(

It's like voting - who knows if it really makes a difference but I do it anyway. everything is corrupt but hope for the best.

I've gone a few times. I think it is weaselly to try to get out of it unless you have a legitimate reason. I never park in handicap spots for the same reason, nor would I ever try to scam a handicap parking permit. Legally ADD is not a reason. You are probably smarter and more qualified than most of the general pool.

Sometimes you sit there and they make a deal while you wait. Just getting the big pool of potential jury members is enough to scare up a last minute deal. Sometimes you don't get called to sit.

Like last time there was a man who (alledgely) robbed an elderly couple at gunpoint. I looked at him and his lawyer liked the pieces of {censored} that they were.

They usually call from the first seat up front left unless there are any objections. I was in the first call seat but they didn't call me. One of the two lawyers struck me. they called everybody else in my row. I didn't lie on any of the questions. Just tell the truth you might not get called anyway. :)

If you don't want to do it, I wouldn't send the card back in. I just wouldn't go, however i live in a big ass city and there is no way a warrant would be issued just for not going to jury duty. I don't know what your situation is like.

There were fights out in the halls last time, this place can be a real cesspool. I wouldn't want my SO, mom, grandma, or sister, if I had one, going up there.

• Members

I've only been called once. I ended up on the jury in a murder trial. The whole process was interesting. The trial took three days, we were in the third day of deliberations when the defendant copped a plea for murder two and agreed to testify against the other suspects in the case.

I was one of the three holdouts for a guilty sentence. Turns out I was right. The guy got 10 years. I would do it again. I don't look forward to it though.

• Members
Originally posted by shepherdspy

They usually call from the first seat up front left unless there are any objections. I was in the first call seat but they didn't call me. One of the two lawyers struck me. they called everybody else in my row. I didn't lie on any of the questions. Just tell the truth you might not get called anyway.
:)

what if i didn't understand much of what you said? i'm really not very boned up on the legal system, so in addition to all the anxiety, i really feel like i have a reason to be worried, bc i have no idea what's going on, and that'd be a lot of responsibility if i did end up in something really serious. :(

• Members

Originally posted by DaSkip

I've only been called once. I ended up on the jury in a murder trial. The whole process was interesting. The trial took three days, we were in the third day of deliberations when the defendant copped a plea for murder two and agreed to testify against the other suspects in the case.

I was one of the three holdouts for a guilty sentence. Turns out I was right. The guy got 10 years. I would do it again. I don't look forward to it though.

Yeah I wouldn't label it as fun. File under civic duty. It is kind of interesting, though.

Tripster, if it would seriously freak you out then don't do it. Even if you went, you could explain your medical condition to the lawyers. Or they usually ask, does anyone have any reason not to serve and you just raise your hand. That might be difficult for you, but it would be very responsible.

For me, I enjoying conquering my fears. It is an opportunity to grow. Besides the stuff I am scared of/worried about usually turns out to be not that bad. The worst stuff is completely unexpected, so I never even had a chance to worry about it.

• Members
Originally posted by danny60

Do it. You get paid to show up whether or not you're chosen. It IS your civic duty. Ever hear the phrase "freedom isn't free"?

But then missing out on Gilligans Island reruns is sooooo terrible?

it did not mention payment :p . i think i decided i'm going to do it anyway. you don't really get to complain about the corrupt "system" when the "system" is basically saying "hey... wanna come help?" and i'm saying "no thanks"

and i don't think not going is an option, the letters says that the clerk of court's office cannot excuse or transfer jurors. and "Unless the clerk of court's office otherwise notifies you, you must report for jury duty as requested." is underlined :(

• Members

Originally posted by lowroadrevival

Just go. What the {censored}?

You won't have to worry about it again for 7 more years.

*Oh yeah and the payment is like eight bucks a day, don't get excited.

is that really the case? they can't call you again for a long-ass time? and is it common for someone my age to be called? i know it's selected at random but i've never heard much about it from friends or anything

• Members

is that really the case? they can't call you again for a long-ass time? and is it common for someone my age to be called? i know it's selected at random but i've never heard much about it from friends or anything

Anyone from 18 up is eligible, I believe. Yes, you can only serve every 7 years at the max. Dodge it now, and you'rew right back in the pool. Just suck it up and go. Bring magazines!

You will most likely sit around in a big room with a bunch of people, and then be disimissed at the end of that day, and not have to go back.

• Members

Yeah, the starting age is usually whatever age the state recognizes you as an Adult (18 in most countries).
I was selected for jury duty at the start of last year when i was 18; I had only been on the electoral roll (how they select you over here) for less than 6 months!
I was actually looking forward to it, but I wasn't actually chosen for a jury, it seemed that no-one under the age of 30 was actually sworn in to be a juror.
So don't be too anxious about it mate, you're satistically disadvantaged for being selected.
Also I didn't know you Americans couldn't be recalled as a juror for 7 years; I don't know of any rule like that here.

• Members

Originally posted by TDLock

Yeah, the starting age is usually whatever age the state recognizes you as an Adult (18 in most countries).

I was selected for jury duty at the start of last year when i was 18; I had only been on the electoral roll (how they select you over here) for less than 6 months!

I was actually looking forward to it, but I wasn't actually chosen for a jury, it seemed that no-one under the age of 30 was actually sworn in to be a juror.

So don't be too anxious about it mate, you're satistically disadvantaged for being selected.

Also I didn't know you Americans couldn't be recalled as a juror for 7 years; I don't know of any rule like that here.

It must vary by state. I was on what they call a Petit Jury. You are only excused from being recalled for two years after serving on a Petit Jury in Texas. I'm eligible again as we speak.

• Members

I got called a year or so ago to appear. I arrived, filled out paperwork, waited, waited some more, got called upstairs with about 100 people, filled out some more paperwork, watched as 11 people got questioned by the lawyers and judge, waited some more, watched two people get called to serve and then I was sent home. See ya in 7 years!

The funny thing was a middle-aged lady was bitching and moaning about being there and when we were called upstairs, she was chosen as one of the 11, but she created such a stink about how she wasn't sure that she could be fair that she was dismissed from the courtroom. She was sent downstairs to the main room and by the time we got back down there, she got called to another trial and had to wait through all of those jury selection proceedings. Made me feel good to see her jerked around after jerking the court around as well.:evil:

• Members

Yeah, just do it. It is part of living where we live. Plan on being fair and open minded. The judge will instruct you on the issues that you need to be familiar with, so don't worry about being unfamiliar with the legal system. Who knows you may dig it. You may not get called. Either way you will see part of our system, that you haven't seen, and that is valuable.

P.S. I just got called to for jury duty. For us, it means calling in every tuesday morning for 6-8 weeks, until you actually get called to be on a jury.

Being a lawyer in town, and knowing an awful lot of the trial lawyers, it is really unlikely that I will not be struck, but I'm not planning on trying to get out of it. I would love to hear the conversations and deliberations in a jury room. Educational stuff.

• Members

Most trials are over within a few days of service. This is not to say that there aren't some longer cases.

The worst jury duty might be Grand Jury. A friend of the family was put on a Grand Jury and had to report for about a month to decide if cases were worthy of going to trial. Now if you are looking to get away from work for a month, it might be the ticket. I just couldn't imagine making substitute teacher plans for 30 days! If you were self-employed you might be in a world of {censored}!

• Members
Originally posted by doug deeper

i just got called as well...

just remember that you've been called for selection, not for actual duty. if you go in there looking like a scumbag they'll most likely send you home and you'll be off the hook.

That's not true at all. They'll probably pick you. A lawyer may assume a guy dressed as a scumbag is not educated and can be easily persuaded. However you show up wearing some Armati suits, and a defense attorney may assume you're too analytical. I think a defense lawyer would be making a mistake using selection processes like that but I'm sure it happens. They always tell us here (because it's an engineering town) that if you're an engineer you won't be picked. It's not always true, but it is true enough to warrant a general saying LOL!

If you want you can go in and say "it was the black guy, right?"

When I showed up to court for jury duty they had too many folks and on the first day the lady says "who wants to go home?" Well when I first got called I didn't realize the stipulations that my work had to pay me so I was worried about being able to afford it, but when I found out I got paid I thought it was cool. I love law anyways.

I didn't get picked, but came in for a few days and brought a few books.

One selection process was funny. This kid had been arrested for...{censored}, burglary or robbery...they tried to distinguish that it wasn't theft, due to the fact that he didn't have the merchandise when they got him. I may have some bits of that mixed up.

Anyways, the guy's telling the story...

thel: "um..."
dude: "yes sir?"
thel: "I know that guy. The arresting officer you just mentioned"
judge: "how well do you know him sir?"
thel: "pretty well"
judge: "as in you've been to his house, he's been to your house?"
thel: "yes sir"
judge: "would this create any impartiality on your part"
thel: "no sir"
defense attorney: dirty look....scratch name :D

It was also from a grocery store and I worked for years at a grocery store so that was two strikes against me.

The other case I'm glad I wasn't put on because it was a child molestation case. I like to say I'm fair and impartial and am all about the law and evidence blabla. But to hear a 12 year old girl get up and testify and start crying? Yeah, that'd be pretty damn tough. :(

Archived