The vibrato on my '64 Bandmaster isn't very good.

riffdaddy

• Members

The amp requires a footswitch to activate the vibrato, and I didn't have one for the first few days I had the amp. A doctor friend had a spare and gave it to me, so Friday night at the gig I plugged it in to check it out. It didn't sound very good. It was really choppy, kind of lifeless, and the speed control got too fast at about 2.5.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the circuit just sucks?

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

The amp requires a footswitch to activate the vibrato, and I didn't have one for the first few days I had the amp. A doctor friend had a spare and gave it to me, so Friday night at the gig I plugged it in to check it out. It didn't sound very good. It was really choppy, kind of lifeless, and the speed control got too fast at about 2.5.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the circuit just sucks?

you're doing nothing wrong bro...the circuit probably needs a tune up...first, try replacing the tube for it,,,,should be the last one before the driver.

if THAT doesn't work, you probably need to replace the caps in the trem circuit...not real hard if yer handy with a soldering iron.

the trem on that thing should RAWWWWWWWWWK....mine sure did..

• Members

I don't think it is supposed to inherently suck.

I have my own such issue: The tremolo on my '66 Tremolux has serious problems. Everything else about the amp is wonderful, but the trem makes a loud clicking noise in addition to the trem effect, so I really can't use it. The tubes are all fine; could this be a capacitor issue somehow? I haven't had the chance to have the click professionally diagnosed.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I don't think it is supposed to inherently suck.

I have my own such issue: The tremolo on my '66 Tremolux has serious problems. Everything else about the amp is wonderful, but the trem makes a loud clicking noise in addition to the trem effect, so I really can't use it. The tubes are all fine; could this be a capacitor issue somehow? I haven't had the chance to have the click professionally diagnosed.

sounds more like a resistor.

• Members

Originally posted by jTreu

hey i have a 64' too with no foorswitch, how about sending that footswitch my way so i can finally try out the vibrato?
:D

You can just take an ordinary RCA plug, connect its two leads together, and insert it in the footswitch jack to turn on the vibrato. It's just an open/closed switch, and the jumpered plug "closes" it. (Mine has no footswitch either.)

• Members

I have a BF Bandmaster, it sounds really good.

You can slow the trem down by replacing the caps in the trem circuit. There are three ceramic caps: two .01 and a .02. If you replace them all with .02 Mallory's it will slow the tremolo down to something managable.

Other trem facts: If you don't have a footswitch, you can get the trem to work by shorting out a phono plug and putting it in the switch jack. Just take an old stereo cable with phono plugs, snip one off and twist the wires together. Of course, this means the tremolo will be on all the time and you will have to turn the knobs down to get rid of it. Which leads me to this:

Get a replacement pot with a switch from Ted Weber and replace the intensity pot. This will enable you to switch out the tremolo circuit in your Bandmaster and get a little gain boost in the trem channel. Here is a web page I did explaining how.

Lastly, you might have a bad tremolo roach. The tremolo in my Quad Reverb sucked and when I replaced the roach it came alive.

Good luck.

Archived