strat spring vibrations?

Biz Markie

• Members

when i hit a chord (say G) and let open strings ring out if i mute all the strings quickly there'll be this high pitched decay sound, sorta like reverb feedback. it's mostly noticeable with a distortion pedal as the high pitched decay sound induces a little feedback as the "notes" decay for a second or so. it does this even when it's unplugged as well. just wondering if this is normal or what i can do to fix it. i'm thinking it has to do with the springs, just not sure if it's something that can be resolved. thanks!

• Members

you can put a small pc of foam in there, some guys have used tissue paper. masking tape. whatever will dampen the vibration of the springs. but then your guitar sounds drier. the springs act like a natural reverb.

you might not like it without the spring noise. try it both ways and see what you like best.

• Members

One of my japanese Strats did that really bad. The springs resonated when I played low E chords.
I carry a few brands of springs at my shop and noticed that different brands of springs are made differently. Some have more/less coils or are stiffer/looser - either of which would require adjustments to the claw screws. I swapped the originals w/some WD brand springs, adjusted the claw and the problem is gone.

• Members

Originally posted by edster

One of my japanese Strats did that really bad. The springs resonated when I played low E chords.

I carry a few brands of springs at my shop and noticed that different brands of springs are made differently. Some have more/less coils or are stiffer/looser - either of which would require adjustments to the claw screws. I swapped the originals w/some WD brand springs, adjusted the claw and the problem is gone.

yeah, if they're rattling, that's no good. you can tighten the mounting screws but that'll change the whammy tension. but spring changes are A-OK.

• Members

Originally posted by Biz Markie

when i hit a chord (say G) and let open strings ring out if i mute all the strings quickly there'll be this high pitched decay sound, sorta like reverb feedback. it's mostly noticeable with a distortion pedal as the high pitched decay sound induces a little feedback as the "notes" decay for a second or so. it does this even when it's unplugged as well. just wondering if this is normal or what i can do to fix it. i'm thinking it has to do with the springs, just not sure if it's something that can be resolved. thanks!

touch all the strings above the nut now try it. mine always seem to need another string tree. i just put a small piece of black tape on the string that was causeing the problem. (above the nut)

Archived