Okay, so maybe I'm just stoned, but I think I have a rad idea for an amp ..

MIDIstruction

• Members

Alright, so what if I were to close-mic a nice low-wattage studio amp, and ran that into my Traynor PA (which is old, and occasionally catches on fire, and sounds awesome, and has great reverb) and went from the PA to another set of nice speakers (nicer, and bigger than the nice low-wattage studio amp's) and put it all inside of one big cabinet?

I could have a stereo rig with two little recording amps - one for dirt, and one for cleans, mic them both. I could run my vocals and my sampler and drum machine all into the same insane cabinet and totally bypass the soundboard. I guess they could then mic the nice, bug auxillary speakers for the vocals/guitar/electronics .. or I could sing into two mics! One going to the house PA, and one going to my groovy cabinet of chaos.

I just tried something similar here at the house with little solid state practice amp of unknown origin. I mic'd it with a SM57 and ran it into the aforementioned PA, and then ran that drenched in addition reverb to 2 Fender PA speakers. Then I put a Line 6 DL4 in the effects loop and set the delays totally wet so the repeats went only to the PA's speakers.

After wrestling with the feedback I got some really neat sounds. I had to keep the volume down though as to not bother my nieghbors or my sleeping girlfriend. If this is all sonically viable at a greater decible, then I can only imagine what it would sound like with a decent amp (or amps) and speakers, with my actual rig.

All packed into one intimidating cabinet, too. That's way more intimidating than a mic'd low-wattage studio amp. In my experience it gives the listeners undereducated in gear a poor impression. I guess to them, anything that's not a half-stack is a practice amp.

.. not that I care what they think. :D

• Members

Originally posted by LoneStarGuitar

send a sample of whatever you are smoking to me.

Absolutely not. A solid state practice amp and a mic'd kazoo has never sounded so good ..

Originally posted by Thelonius

The main advantage of a rig like that to me would be the ability to run my fx off of a mixer. So you should add the capabilities for that feature. That way I can use whatever fx I want but I can use a board to blend them. A little mackie or whatever.

yeahhh ..

so then this is a good idea?

• Members

i'm after hearing of a similar setup. a small amp like a champ cranked up and miced, and then sending that into a solidstate power amp into a guitar cab for a stage performance. not sure putting it all in one big cabinet would be beneficial as it might be a bit of a hassle to drag around. but, it would be cool to have to small amps miced, ran into a mixer, then the stereo outputs sent to a stereo power amp then into a pair of pa speakers or a stereo cabinet for big performances, but it might be a little too complicated depending on the venue and start up time. for a small venue i think just one or two small amps cranked up without micing them should suffice without the addition of another power amp. but, i like yourself, enjoy just coming up with schemes and schematics of crazy inconceivable ideas and jotting them on paper just for the hell of it. sometimes i try things out just to test out capabilities of equipment and such, but some of the more out there ideas will probably never be implemented.

• Members

Actually if you look at the amptone page, that's pretty much the idea the guy had for getting a great high gain sound - use a very low wattage amp, like one watt, run it through a speaker, mic it, then run any delay and/or reverb after the power amp distortion - i.e. in a mixer mixed with the already cranked and mic'd guitar sound.

Its not a bad idea at all, and you could probably rig something really cool up with the lovepedal 1/2 watt amps that are available now.

• Members

Originally posted by MIDIstruction

Absolutely not. A solid state practice amp and a mic'd kazoo has never sounded so good ..

yeahhh ..

so then this is a good idea?

Not a bad idea despite some kinks.

It's not for me personally because I hate bulky {censored}. I will probably never own a 4x12 cabinet. Plus I have a P.A. system already. So it would be pretty easy for me to get a setup like this with the amp, mic, & fx of my choice.

Plus there'd be some serious feedback problems if the mic was in there with the P.A. speakers.

Archived