Just came from Jon Brion's studio-gear OMG!!!

Upgrade

• Members

I was cutting drum tracks with Josh Freese on vintage 50's slingerland drums.

Used the original Darkside of the Moon EMI Console!!!!!!! Every great vintage amp, guitar, pedal and keyboard is there. It's a {censored}ing museum. The studio also features a mammoth vintage Neve console and every killer mic, mic pre, compressor and EQ ever made. I could die in that place.

• Members

Originally posted by Leftside

You just recorded with Josh Freese? Holy {censored}.

I've worked with Josh for years- he's doing an album for me now- band called Faulter- great young band- then he's playing on some tracks for Jon. Josh's current gig is with Sting. Faulter's drummer sat back and watched in awe!

btw Josh's little brother Jason plays in Green Day.

• Members

Originally posted by Upgrade

I was cutting drum tracks with Josh Freese on vintage 50's slingerland drums.

Used the original Darkside of the Moon EMI Console!!!!!!! Every great vintage amp, guitar, pedal and keyboard is there. It's a {censored}ing museum. The studio also features a mammoth vintage Neve console and every killer mic, mic pre, compressor and EQ ever made. I could die in that place.

That's very cool indeed..take a pic or two next time!

• Members

That's outstanding. I'd love to see it one day. He's done something important in music, a sort of new production look, that I admire even if I don't aim for it myself. I hear some of his records and the word 'perfect' comes to mind.

I'm prepared to admit here, in the presence of (mostly) men, that I'm blown away by the Brion/Aimee Mann records. Her post-Brion records show the depth of his talent.

For the record, Brion -- like me and almost everyone of any moment -- is from New Jersey. Yes, he hung around in CT, where my wife knew him and may or may not have been his lover, but his career is all for the glory of Jersey.

• Members

Fantastic. Man that guy is just unbelievable. And I'm really digging on the new Kanye West CD too. Every time I think "man that guy is just supertalented" he comes along and doees something even cooler.

Hell I loved him when I just thought he was a member of the Grays. :D

• Members

Originally posted by mrbluetone

That's very cool indeed..take a pic or two next time!

My friend took pics- I'll try to post a link later. Sure- Jon Brion is great and Josh is awesome, I've worked with Josh since he was 15. But the gear in that studio was {censored}ing unreal. Jon's Hofner collection alone (about 25 guitars and basses) was like nothng I've seen. When I sat at the EMI DSOTM Abbey Road mixer, I wet my pants.

Archived