A basic on topic question

Jaymeister

• Members

OK, I currently use a Visual Sound Rt 66 pedal. Nice twin unit with combined compressor and OD. Been using it for about a year.

I bought a GCX to rack my pedals, but this creates a prob for me because of the 2 in 1 setup on the Rt. 66

The comp is used as a bit of a boost and has the ability to add some dirt too so it's not totally clean, but I like to use it to add some punch to clean sounds. I think I have this sorted out with a barber tone press.

I'd like some suggestions on the OD. I like the TS style with the increased tonal control, but am open to options. What's out there right now, let's say in the $150 and under category? Feel free to submit spammage as well.:D

• Members

I was happy with a Menatone Blue Collar for a few years for the purpose you describe, so that's one recommendation. I then found the Barber LTD and now use it instead of the Menatone, so that's another recommendation. The LTD has a little less gain than the Blue Collar, but is slightly more transparent while still adding just a touch of mids (less than a Tubescreamer).

• Members
Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I was happy with a Menatone Blue Collar for a few years for the purpose you describe, so that's one recommendation. I then found the Barber LTD and now use it instead of the Menatone, so that's another recommendation. The LTD has a little less gain than the Blue Collar, but is slightly more transparent while still adding just a touch of mids (less than a Tubescreamer).

Thanks man. BTW, I'm waiting for a sperm to swim up and fertilize your avatar.:D

• Members
Originally posted by Jaymeister

Thanks man. BTW, I'm waiting for a sperm to swim up and fertilize your avatar.
:D

With my wife fifteen weeks away from delivering our second child, I don't want to hear about any more fertilizing!

As for the avatar, I've always liked the blue-circle symbol for a number of reasons; but it originally entered my head thanks to the cover art of an album I listened to way too much as a teenager, the Germs' GI:
gi.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by palthegiraffe

With my wife fifteen weeks away from delivering our second child, I don't want to hear about any more fertilizing!

As for the avatar, I've always liked the blue-circle symbol for a number of reasons; but it originally entered my head thanks to the cover art of an album I listened to way too much as a teenager, the Germs'
GI
:

gi.jpg

Hey, congrats...on the new addition, and on your taste in music.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

Hey, congrats...on the new addition, and on your taste in music.

Thanks. I'm terrified! There's already a 19-month-old in the house!

Another OD to try if you get the chance is the Barber Direct Drive SS. It's more medium-gain than low-gain, but is extremely flexible tonewise between the knobs on the outside and three different marked trimpots inside.

• Members

My favorite OD is the Fulltone 2. I've never used one with a compressor, and it doesn't have any increased tone controls. You might check out the Foxrox ZIM if you want a wide variety of OD tones in one box, but thats going to run you a lot more than $400.

Did you like the OD on the route 66? If so you could always just pick up a VS Jeckyl and Hyde, I could be mistaken but I think the OD's are very similar if not identical, and that would also give you some extra gain if you needed it.

• Members

It really depends on how much extra tonal control you need. My favorite TS style pedal is a Keeley modded Sparkledrive. The mod helped the bass, and gave me better control of the gain, but there's still a little bit of a mid hump. I happen to like the idea of mids humping, but too much does make for a nasally tone.

I've also tried am MI Audio Blues prototype, the forerunner to the Blues Boy. The BB with it's internal trimmers would give you extra tonal control. I like the Sparkledrive just as much for my rig though.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

My favorite OD is the Fulltone 2. I've never used one with a compressor, and it doesn't have any increased tone controls. You might check out the Foxrox ZIM if you want a wide variety of OD tones in one box, but thats going to run you a lot more than $400.

Did you like the OD on the route 66? If so you could always just pick up a VS Jeckyl and Hyde, I could be mistaken but I think the OD's are very similar if not identical, and that would also give you some extra gain if you needed it.

Hey, thanks W...But I'm limiting my options to single pedals, not the twin types. My pedals will be racked and I'm using a GCX midi loop switcher.

Archived