zvex wah probe

stereotypy

• Members

why do i think my top (when the foot hits the plate) end on the zvex wah probe is too harsh/shrill sounding for my ear?? it's not as smooth as i think it could be.. do i need an eq or screw a little with the trimpot.. i screwed a bit when it came and thought i had it back to the original setting because that's really the best setting.

any opinions??

• Members

Do you mean too high pitched or it's too quick to react? I wish there was more range personally, but if it's reacting too fast adjust the trimpots according to the manual and test a lot. I think they're set up to be used with shoes too, so if you're barefoot it can make a difference.

• Members

na, it's not too fast or something like that.. it's that i find it too harsh.. i can't recall the sound of the cry baby i played once.. compared to that the wah probe has way more sweep.. but i played it today and don't know if i maybe kinda misused it.. but i found the notes when played with my "shoe" -on- the plate too -harsh/ear-biting/too-high...

• Members

The trim pots will probably help that too. First, if you wouldn't mind, could you tell me how you have yours set. I'd actually like mine to be more harsh. Then try setting the RF at just before 3 o'clock and the LED just ever so slightly after noon. This gets me what I would consider a pretty mellow and funky wah sound.

• Members

are you using a fuzz before, amp dirt or od? I rarely put my foot directly on the plate for the same reasons as you. I kind of just hover over the plate and I regularly use the headstock, fingers and a bolt(wrapped in tape as to not damage the plate) that I tie to my shoe string. Smaller objects don't sound shrill. I should mention I use the shop setup and the boost is around 10:45.

On my setup, though, the shrillness depends on the type of dirt( fuzz accentuates immensely). If you need to adjust the trimpots, be sure to lower the boost first to see if this works.

Archived