I Want To Buy a Roland VK-8M (V2)

• Members

Here you go Steve: http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-VK-8M-Organ-Sound-Module_W0QQitemZ110017972987QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38090QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But before you do it. Take time to consider other organ modules. I owned a VK-8 for about two years, and liked it better than the VK-7, CX-3, & Voce. I still found it lacking when compared to my 1956 Hammond B-3 and Leslie 145.

I've been using the Nord Electro for a Hammond sustitute for the last 8 months, and like it better than the VK-8. The leslie sim is better, the chorus and vibrato is more accurate, the amp sim and overdrive is better.

The only down side is the inc/ dec switches per drawbar instead of actual drawbars. I've gotten used to this and find it quite intuitive.

I have complained of its' lousy acoustic piano sound, but in all fairness, it plays and sounds much better when triggered from a hammer action piano keyboard.

Nord gives you a phenominal rhodes, wurlitzer and hohner clavinet sound from this unit also.

Nord electro rack:http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NORD-ELECTRO-RACK-2-CLASSIC-SOUNDS-CLICK-HEAR-1852_W0QQitemZ110016338915QQihZ001QQcategoryZ29552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Man with Gas

Thanks for all that.

I need something for a Deep Purple Tribute ala Jon Lord.

Would the Nord be better for this or the Roland?

Thanks again

Steve

I'll see if I have some live band recordings to post.... We play Hush, Highway Star, and only at the audiences' behest: Smoke on the water.

I've had numerous of my local Hammond cronies come to the club and comment on how great the Nord sounds....:love:

• Members

you play a module then? i don't really know anything about MIDI,but could i play EPS from the electro on say a weighted keyboard and the hammond from a lighter action on a different keyboard?

i've read stuff to the effect that you can't do that with the electro keyboard itself (e.g., play the EPs from a separate weighted KB).

• Members

A module ("slave") can only be played from one "master" (controller keyboard), unless the slave module has more than one MIDI INs. This is not the case for the NE Rack, so you can only use one keyboard at a time.

There's a workaround: a MIDI Merge box, which merges the signals from two masterkeyboards to one single output (which in turn is connected to the one MIDI IN of the slave module.

There's another hurdle, though: the Nord Electro (both the keyboard and the rack version) is monotimbral, so it is not possible to play an organ AND a EP sound at the same time. Double manual orgal playing can be done, but nothing that involves other Electro sounds than the organ.

With a MIDI Merge box, non-simultaneous playing of the organ from an unweighted board and playing of EPs from a weighted board should be possible. Never practiced this theory myself, though.

I recommend the NE Rack nonetheless: nice instrument! Compare the NE Rack to the VK8M pricewise: for a little more dough, you get some very nice extra sounds. Your judgement on the organ sounds may vary, of course.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Pawnz

I would strongly encourage you to hold out for the new Hammond module (XM-2) with drawbar controller (XMc-2). It is due out next month.

One consideration is that the Hammond is in two pieces -- a module and drawbar controller connected by a special cable -- while the VK-8M is a single unit. FWIW, I've been very pleased with my VK-8M.

Archived