OT: Hmmm, Oz qualified for the World Cup...

4Kenoath

• Members
Originally posted by fernmeister

I used to get really upset about the way the media spun "hooliganism." There's just not a lot football fan can do about it...

It's just frustrating that little ever seems to be said about some of the more extreme fans (Italians, Turkish, some of the Eastern Bloc) get off lightly (eg Inter still being allowed in the CL, nothing major being done about the Roma/Lazio riots last year, the countless times racism occurs during International matches involving Eastern Bloc coutries and yet they're not chucked out) when if the slightest thing invloving the English happens - such as the incident during the last European Championship where English holidaymakers were in an incident miles away from any of the football - then the world cries English Hooligans.

:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by mrblackbat

It's just frustrating that little ever seems to be said about some of the more extreme fans (Italians, Turkish, some of the Eastern Bloc) get off lightly (eg Inter still being allowed in the CL, nothing major being done about the Roma/Lazio riots last year, the countless times racism occurs during International matches involving Eastern Bloc coutries and yet they're not chucked out) when if the slightest thing invloving the English happens - such as the incident during the last European Championship where English holidaymakers were in an incident miles away from any of the football - then the world cries English Hooligans.

:mad:

Yup!
I don't get it!?
How they get away with the racism, the neo nazi stuff, all the other crap!!!!! Flares at matches? Are they havin a laugh or what?
I have been on way too many Euro away matches and charged at by Italian and Spanish police. Why? Wearing a football shirt in public basically!
It is a disgrace how they get away with it.
English hooligans are gits, don't get me wrong BUT they are by no means alone!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

Did anyone see the fiasco in Belgrade? The bastards were throwing some primitive exploding devices at Bosnian fans, and our bus was shot at, to say nothing of the banners celebrating genocide, nazi salutations and {censored}. They were fined with 30.000 Swiss francs, and we with 40.000, for enduring all that {censored}. {censored} FIFA, fascist arseholes.

• Members
Originally posted by Grozna_Pizda

Did anyone see the fiasco in Belgrade? The bastards were throwing some primitive exploding devices at Bosnian fans, and our bus was shot at, to say nothing of the banners celebrating genocide, nazi salutations and {censored}. They were fined with 30.000 Swiss francs, and we with 40.000, for enduring all that {censored}. {censored} FIFA, fascist arseholes.

May be there's a few old nazis running it.

Oz fans are pretty naive to all this since soccer is the 4th football code here. The last time Oz played Uruguay 4 years ago for a WC birth, our team got spat on, abused and had things thrown at them when they arrived at the airport. The goons were all very well organised. Then the Uruguans organised for the building next to our teams hotel to be demolished...during the night, so they wouldn't get any sleep.

All this crap ruins it for the sane fans.:mad: Uruguay had it coming...they deserved to lose. There I said it.:p

• Members

Originally posted by Happy_Thom

I love hearing about dirty tactics like that -It's lame but funny as well, it's jsut a shame that all teams don't do it.

Sad to hear players like montero, recoba, chevanton, zalietta (sp?) won't be at the world cup.

But well done Oz!

I'm a bit dissapointed at some of the crybaby coverage in the Aus press. Rather ironic given the antics of the Aus cricket team and the reputation of past Australian football teams for kicking the sh*t out of people in meaningless friendlies and getting sent off for "professional misconduct."

Also sad that we won't see some of the Uruguayan talent at the world cup, but fact is they had 120 minutes to poach one goal and win a place and they failed.

Now they have a decent coach and a chance to group properly as a squad, Australia will probably put on a good show in the World Cup. They won't win and they probably won't even get close to the 8trs, but they should do fine in the opening matches. I'm VERY curious to see what odds they get for scrambling into the second phase.

• Members

A shame still - they should just kick some of the wank teams out that qualified and let uraguay back in.

For curiousity's sake; who would you kick out of the world cup bed?

For sure it is hard to take trinidad being there and Uruguay missing out and Saudi look odds on to fizzle yet again. But who else?

• Members

I dunno I 've not been paying much attention to who has and hasn't.

But I just know that there must be some awful teams with nobodies that no one wants to see play that have qualified....

Saudi - out

I've never seen tirnidad play but if dwight yorke is still playing for them I don't mind so much them being there.

• Members

ok I had a look at worldcup.com or whatever and these teams are lame:

angola
toga
saudi
iran

and possibly trinidad

Where are:

denmark, norway and uraguay?

Well we know why uraguay aren't there but surely they could kick some of those crappy teams out to put these ones back in.

Am I right in thinking the qualifying groups are divided inrelation to where the team is situated geographically?

Stupid way to do it if that's the case.

• Members

Am I right in thinking the qualifying groups are divided inrelation to where the team is situated geographically?

Stupid way to do it if that's the case.

Yes, it is continental groups and not sure why it is stupid. How else would you do it? Sure it will yield some unpalatable results, but it is pretty hard to argue for a team like Norway, especially the way they have played recently. I agree Togo were somethng of a surprise, but Angola are there because they did the business, head to head against Nigeria, which is good enough for me.

Archived